PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

NEW UPOWER 20KW Pic...

Notifications
Clear all

NEW UPOWER 20KW Pictures

42 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dickson)
Noble Member

IS it the  black wire and red wire and white connecter at the  charger output board  ?           I  will open my  inverter   cover and look at my  charger  output board later today .         

ReplyQuote
(@jon-snow)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @dickson
IS it the black wire and red wire and white connecter at the charger output board ? I will open my inverter cover and look at my charger output board later today .

Yes, it seems to be coming from that area... and would love to know where to reconnect it, thank you so much for your help!

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

The picture of my  charger output  board  show the  red and black  wire on the right  is  the same  as your black and red wire on the  right .     The loose wire in your picture is the same  as the black and red wire on the left  of my  charger board .      Your inverter has only one Thor connector  so that red and black wire is not connected  to the Thor on the left .      I have 2 Thor  connecter so the  red and black wire is  also connected on the left .     The red and black wire go to the  blaxk current sensor ring  in the picture . I do not have a Thor  and the blue wire is for the Thor .         Your loose black and red  wire  is not needed   and   should not cause any problem .      

DSCF6737.JPG

DSCF6738.JPG

DSCF6739.JPG

ReplyQuote
(@jon-snow)
Topic starter  

Glad to know that that its not needed then, thank you so much ! I owe you one....

ReplyQuote
dochubert
(@dochubert)
Estimable Member

Jon Snow, I would humbly suggest a scope look at the sine wave of L2 - N   and L1 - L2.  Powerjack(Upower) is notorious for sometimes not using proper caps to produce a clean sine wave on the "other" leg.  Most people don't check.

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

Powerjack(Upower) is notorious for sometimes not using proper caps to produce a clean sine wave on the "other" leg.  

I  connect a big red  10 uF capacitor between  L2 and N  which is the white wire  in the picture .   This make it easy to run my 5 hp air compressor  and an old washing machine  with my 9000 watt Powerjack .   

DSCF6740.JPG

ReplyQuote
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member

at first i went wow,

but then after looking a bit.... yes, you had the dc wires hooked up wrong. the 1st nut and washer tightens the stud bolt in place then put on your lug from your copper cable to your battery...then tighten down the second nut,,,,just go to the hardware store and buy a replacement SS nut,,,skip the aluminum nut idea

with the connection stud not tightened in place properly (loose connection) that is exactly what a dc arc welder does....it creates an arc. the terminals and the heavy copper cables need to be tight....

check and double check....

Dickson was right on target, but it made me go take a peak at my 15000 watt 2 box unit....which has been running 24/7 for quite some time connected to a 4P8S 24-volt 32 cell LiFePO4 battery at 1088ah. mine has the thors notebook and 2 lcd screens and i direct wired it to an ac breaker panel...

if there is a problem, most of the time it was a loose connection....🤔😎

i have assembled multiple lifepo4 batteries.

please do follow up

thanks

ReplyQuote
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member

I also recommend putting in a dc rated disconnect switch between the battery and the inverter.... i put mine on the negative end of the 4P8S LiFePO4 battery...

I put a 400 amp class t fuse on the positive end of the LiFePO4 battery to the inverter....

I use 4/0 copper cables,,,, do not use aluminum cables or copper clad aluminum cables.....they are junk

inverter should be powered off and under no load when making all connections..

you can use a resister to pre-charge the capacitors in the inverter before tuning it on..

most you may already know or have done..

DC is a bit intimidating at times but take your time wear safety glasses and some gloves,,,

have a great evening 😎👍

ReplyQuote
(@jon-snow)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @pilgrimvalley
I also recommend putting in a dc rated disconnect switch between the battery and the inverter.... i put mine on the negative end of the 4P8S LiFePO4 battery...

Posted by: @dochubert
Jon Snow, I would humbly suggest a scope look at the sine wave of L2 - N and L1 - L2. Powerjack(Upower) is notorious for sometimes not using proper caps to produce a clean sine wave on the "other" leg. Most people don't check.

ReplyQuote
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member

I personally have never done the oscilloscope checking of things....but may look at that in the future.

the problem most people encounter is the lack of adequate battery to run an inverter....

a 12000 watt inverter running 24/7 will need a big battery then think of the (days of autonomy) time you want for say three days of no sun and etc,,,

12000watts  x 24 hours  x 3 days = 864,000 watts or 864 kW and that is if said 12k inverter is 100 percent efficient ( no such critter out there) maybe 90 percent efficient inverter in all reality )

a 30000 watt solar array can produce no where near that amount in a day... 30 kW per hour of 100 percent solar PV out put ( again one can expect 4-6 hours on a daily basis when the sun is shining...)

the long and short of it is solar can help when the sun is shining..... but few people will actually be able to run a 12000 watt inverter 24/7 off grid... without the most expensive part >>>> the huge battery.....

still waiting to see that done.....and done safely

the battery is the most expensive part unfortunately....

more solar PV panels help a lot when the sun is shining.

to be comfortably off grid with all the modern energy wasting gismos a family desires requires a lot of battery storage or else not much electrical loads when the sun goes down...

conservation is always the fastest payback,,,,insulate the house 1st... reduce energy waste and I do not mean wasting big money on expensive new fangled appliances that will never pay for themselves before they break down..... that is just dumb... seek energy efficient appliances and use only as needed...cover the windows with thick insulating blankets at night ( orient windows to the south in northern USA for the winter and cover in summer time as you do not want the extra heat ) ((((energy conservation is always going to pay back the fastest)))) 

look for the phantom wall wart loads and shut them off if not absolutely required....use power strip with a switch easy and inexpensively removes some of the wasted wall wart drains...i use incandescent light bulbs in the winter time as I like this light and I like the heat they put off (not efficient but it often takes several led lights to give the same amount of good light....cheapo poor quality Chinese led lights suck vs better quality led lights( you get what you pay for sometimes) your mileage may vary.

I like power strips with a switch and you can find these every where...

PowerJack keeps changing their inverters and have raised their prices but bargains are still out there on eBay...

PowerJack may have dumped the annoying non profitable little fish but still sells and changes to innovate for the bargain market,,,making more money is their strategy surely..

inflation is rampant in the USA currently...

in the future more efficient safe battery innovations and better energy storage solutions will come along...

I have not ever blown a PowerJack inverter up and that is still the way I prefer to keep it.....(knock on wood)

sorry for the long reply typing....🤔 

have a great Monday and be safe all 😎

I still prefer the inverter to do strictly the task of inverting and do not need or want an all in one.... I want my solar charge controller to be separate and I do not need or want WIFI or firmware update headaches...

as all people know one product is seldom compatible with another and they want to hide their innovations to make the dreamed million dollar product... fine, no problem (get a patent)... KISS...so the thing can easily be repaired...

it is always good and appreciated when people give good feedback and a little direction to the neophytes (I am a neophyte to electrical doo dad diagnosis/repair and never too old to learn)...

ReplyQuote
dochubert
(@dochubert)
Estimable Member

I have not ever blown a PowerJack inverter up and that is still the way I prefer to keep it

Lucky you!  Wish I could say the same.  Blew my first one up more than 6 years ago while trying some mods (that turned out to be not the greatest ideas).  A couple of years back blew one up by incorrectly transferring the house loads.(An interlocked transfer switch is not practical here and there was a one time Whoops! resulting in smoke)

I still prefer the inverter to do strictly the task of inverting and do not need or want an all in one.... I want my solar charge controller to be separate and I do not need or want WIFI or firmware update headaches...

Couldn't agree more!

My older powerjack runs the house.  I have 4 separate 40a charge controllers bringing in power from 4 arrays of panels. If the sun is shining I'm golden!  Sadly it's been a dark and cloudy winter this year.  Today it's snowing like crazy.  I'm still trying to come up with a viable alternative power source that doesn't require sunshine.  Wish I had a stream or river. 

ReplyQuote
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member

they make a charger specific for LiFePO4 batteries would be the better way and safer way to charge your batteries vs trying to utilize a charger on the inverter

both will prowse and david poz have run into issues with the chargers built into Chinese design inverters

david poz had a new review of a 100 amp 48 volt LiFePO4 battery charger

check it out

hope your 2 piece 20k is working at least for an inverter...

have a great day 😎

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3