PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

Data logging with P...

Notifications
Clear all

Data logging with PowMr MPPT?

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@careyer)
Topic starter  

Hi there,

sadly I found this valuable information a bit too late (after purchasin two PowMr knockoffs of the MSB).
Unfortunatly the PowMr also has a unpopulated 4-Pin Pinheader right next to the load output. I meassured all four lines with an oscilloscope and got the following result:
1.) 5V
2.) 3,3V
3.) 3,3V
4.) GND

I tried the above sketch sending the Read command but got no reply.
I wonder:
- Has anyone ever tried with a PowMr?
- From what I can tell this looks very much like a TX/RX TTL interface. Is this 5V or 3,3V signal level?
- Maybe the firmware does not support empowering this port?
- Is it possible to upload the MSB firmware to the PowMr, i.e. flash the MCU and hence make it compatible?
- Does anyone have a firmware update file for the MSB at hand?

(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @careyer
- From what I can tell this looks very much like a TX/RX TTL interface. Is this 5V or 3,3V signal level?

3.3v.  You will need a TTL-level RS-232 adapter, not a DB9-style adapter.

- Is it possible to upload the MSB firmware to the PowMr, i.e. flash the MCU and hence make it compatible?

Considering that they're now relabeling what's really a Nuvoton MCU...yeah, it technically could be reflashed, but you'd need a Nuvoton programmer dongle (Nu-Link-Pro or otherwise).

- Does anyone have a firmware update file for the MSB at hand?

Not that I'm aware of.  Rumor has it that an older MakeSkyBlue firmware leak is what PowMr uses in their units...so of course MakeSkyBlue will be even more tight now.

ReplyQuote
(@careyer)
Topic starter  

Thanks! Given that I am using an ESP32 to communicate to the MSB/PowMr : Am I right that I do not need a TTL<->RS-232 adapter at all? I mean the Serial Interface of ESP32 uses 3,3V levels right away, right?

Regarding the Firmware:
I have seen updater decives such as this: https://de.aliexpress.com/i/4000011273671.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2deu   -- However to perform the update i think you just have to connect the programmer itself... press a button an off you go. After the update the programmer seems to erase itself. (You can derive that from the very last comment in the item description). That is why it would be very beneficial if anybody here had a firmware file at hand or had succeeded in doing a firmware read-out from the chip.

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Thanks! Given that I am using an ESP32 to communicate to the MSB/PowMr : Am I right that I do not need a TTL<->RS-232 adapter at all? I mean the Serial Interface of ESP32 uses 3,3V levels right away, right?

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

or had succeeded in doing a firmware read-out from the chip.

I can guarantee you that the chips will be read-locked.

Regarding the Firmware: I have seen updater decives such as this: https://de.aliexpress.com/i/4000011273671.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2deu -- However to perform the update i think you just have to connect the programmer itself... press a button an off you go. After the update the programmer seems to erase itself. (You can derive that from the very last comment in the item description). That is why it would be very beneficial if anybody here had a firmware file at hand or had succeeded in doing a firmware read-out from the chip.

As far as that programmer link, funnily enough it's a Nuvoton Nu-Link.  I just happen to find the Nu-Link-Pro to handle far more chips, so we're still in the same product line.  Note that your "CPU" may be relabled as "BettSun", though it's still a Nuvoton MCU underneath.

And this question?

image.thumb.png.a5f36d83afe81567972ffcc7f526cbb8.png

I am not very familiar with the Nuvoton programmer abilities, so I can't comment on whether or not it can be setup to only program once.

Worth noting that unless the PowMr board is a direct copy of the MakeSkyBlue board, a firmware update may render the whole MPPT a brick.

The only person I knew who would have had a firmware file would have been the guy behind MakeSkyBlueUsa.com, but it looks like that whole thing fell apart...website's gone, eBay store is gone...

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="/profile/190-careyer/?do=hovercard" data-mentionid="190" href="/profile/190-careyer/" rel="">@careyer Any chance the board in your PowMr MPPT resembles this?  Found on AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804499889340.html

<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2022_09/image.png.f1ac2ff4d5a5fb4693e606c65b49ce2b.png

It may appear similar to the MakeSkyBlue units, but there are significant changes.  This really casts some significant doubts on the claims (from MakeSkyBlueUsa.com) that "MakeSkyBlue firmware leaked, and got copied by PowMr."  For one, MakeSkyBlue units have TWO inductors, not three.  Going from bipolar switching to three-phase switching requires more than a "firmware leak"...

...and with that in mind, a MakeSkyBlue firmware will more than likely brick a PowMr.

The rest of the circuit does look very similar.  Same non-synchronous buck converter topology as MakeSkyBlue.

Another listing photo shows the processor...which does not say "Nuvoton" on it.  Worth noting that older MSBs had the Nuvoton branding on the MCU (IIRC), whereas the newer ones (almost certainly using the exact same processor) have a "BettSun" relabeling.

<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2022_09/image.png.48295694d5156b1eaf0da7fc65291ae5.png

Well...wouldn't you know.  That photo doesn't have very high resolution, but a few guesses landed me onto what I think the processor on this PowMr board is.  And it isn't a Nuvoton.  (In other words, the Nu-Link programmer linked above will not work.)

It's a Texas Instruments "Piccolo" TMS320F28021PTS.  From the datasheet, down in the "Packaging Information" area...rightmost column is "Package Marking."  Sure looks like a match to me!  And it is a 48-pin leaded quad flat pack package.

image.thumb.png.c8ae941c39d2bb7be8178329ddf37ebf.png

I do seem to vaguely recall looking up this processor before.  But I also am equally certain that the only reason I heard of Nuvoton in the first place was through opening up a MakeSkyBlue MPPT.  And I've never had a PowMr MPPT in my hands.

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

Found on AliExpress:  https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804499889340.html

This  DIY  MPPT  for 65 dollars  is a usefull  add-on  for PJ  inverters .     The MSB  maybe copy PowMr ?    

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @dickson
The MSB maybe copy PowMr ?

Both MakeSkyBlue and PowMr angrily point fingers at each other online, each branding the other side "the fake unit."  I have no idea what actually happened...and it's not like I'm even a customer of either one!

ReplyQuote
(@careyer)
Topic starter  
On 9/21/2022 at 10:39 PM, Sid Genetry Solar said:

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="/profile/190-careyer/?do=hovercard" data-mentionid="190" href="/profile/190-careyer/" rel="">@careyer Any chance the board in your PowMr MPPT resembles this?  Found on AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804499889340.html

<a data-fileext="png" data-fileid="1657" href="/monthly_2022_09/image.png.f1ac2ff4d5a5fb4693e606c65b49ce2b.png" rel="" title="Enlarge image">

//content.invisioncic.com/g308908/monthly_2022_09/image.png.f1ac2ff4d5a5fb4693e606c65b49ce2b.png

It may appear similar to the MakeSkyBlue units, but there are significant changes.  This really casts some significant doubts on the claims (from MakeSkyBlueUsa.com) that "MakeSkyBlue firmware leaked, and got copied by PowMr."  For one, MakeSkyBlue units have TWO inductors, not three.  Going from bipolar switching to three-phase switching requires more than a "firmware leak"...

...and with that in mind, a MakeSkyBlue firmware will more than likely brick a PowMr.

The rest of the circuit does look very similar.  Same non-synchronous buck converter topology as MakeSkyBlue.

Another listing photo shows the processor...which does not say "Nuvoton" on it.  Worth noting that older MSBs had the Nuvoton branding on the MCU (IIRC), whereas the newer ones (almost certainly using the exact same processor) have a "BettSun" relabeling.

<a data-fileext="png" data-fileid="1658" href="/monthly_2022_09/image.png.48295694d5156b1eaf0da7fc65291ae5.png" rel="" title="Enlarge image">

//content.invisioncic.com/g308908/monthly_2022_09/image.png.48295694d5156b1eaf0da7fc65291ae5.png

Well...wouldn't you know.  That photo doesn't have very high resolution, but a few guesses landed me onto what I think the processor on this PowMr board is.  And it isn't a Nuvoton.  (In other words, the Nu-Link programmer linked above will not work.)

It's a Texas Instruments "Piccolo" TMS320F28021PTS.  From the datasheet, down in the "Packaging Information" area...rightmost column is "Package Marking."  Sure looks like a match to me!  And it is a 48-pin leaded quad flat pack package.

//content.invisioncic.com/g308908/monthly_2022_09/image.thumb.png.c8ae941c39d2bb7be8178329ddf37ebf.png

I do seem to vaguely recall looking up this processor before.  But I also am equally certain that the only reason I heard of Nuvoton in the first place was through opening up a MakeSkyBlue MPPT.  And I've never had a PowMr MPPT in my hands.

Yes, this is exactly the board in my PowMr.
The MCU chip on my board has no marking at all (it was likely sanded).... but from a second unit with partly readable markings I can confirm this is a Texas Instruments chip - most likely one of these ( https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tms320f2802.pdf?ts=1663924127228&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ti.com%2Fproduct%2FTMS320F2802 ).

It would be nice to find out if we can readout informations and telemetry from the PowMr as well.
The unpoluplated port I was refering to (the one with the 3.3V data lines) is this one:

<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2022_09/image.png.1e2cbe3df8849befa73fd6ce05bb8e55.png

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

(it was likely sanded)

China seems to love to do this.  Not sure why, unless it's a last-ditch effort for them to try to prevent other Chinese manufacturers from blanket-copying the design?

It would be nice to find out if we can readout informations and telemetry from the PowMr as well.

Unfortunately, you're pretty much on your own there.  You could trace the lines from the port and verify that they do go to a UART/USART/SER module (depending on TI MCU terminology!) on the chip.  Oftentimes they'll be indicated with "TX" and "RX" in the chip pin diagram.  But beyond that.........your guess is as good as mine.  There's a tiny chance PowMr might respond to a request?  Generally speaking, manufacturers don't respond with such simple info--but who knows, they might.

I haven't found any PowMr WiFi adapters online--the easiest way would be to put a 'scope (or logic analyzer) on the comm lines and "sniff" the protocol that way.

I've always questioned when Chinese sellers put "DSP processor" in the item description--and PowMr is no exception.  Only...AFAIK the TI Piccolo family is NOT a DSP processor family!

ReplyQuote