PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

Notifications
Clear all

Power Jack Choke

22 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dickson)
Noble Member

The motor is 230V and the surge amps are about 10A, so the watts are ~2500W. This maybe be possible with my inverter.

I  know that the pump surge is 10 amps  but a 50uH 20A choke  will not  start a well pump  because the surge may last  10 seconds  and a 20A  choke will not help  when the   battery side  is drawing  100 to 150 amps .     IF the surge last less than  1 second like a heat pump  then it may work .    The problem  is that the dc voltage will drop fast and then  your AC side may drop to 180VAC and the well pump will not start  because the surge last  10 seconds  and your AC voltage will be too low .     The choke is to keep the AC voltage near  230vac  but because the ASL2.0 transformer  is  too small  to keep the voltage near  230vac for 10 seconds .      I  do not know of any well pump that  start in 1  second  unless there is no water  .       

ReplyQuote
(@robertm)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @dickson
The problem is that the dc voltage will drop fast and then your AC side may drop to 180VAC and the well pump will not start because the surge last 10 seconds and your AC voltage will be too low . The choke is to keep the AC voltage near 230vac but because the ASL2.0 transformer is too small to keep the voltage near 230vac for 10 seconds .

I thought the choke was to protect the mosfets from feedback from the pump motor?  To address the voltage drop, which I think is the true problem, I have a 24V capacitor bank that I can connect to the dc side. I haven't fully tested that idea because I couldn't make good high-amp connections to the circuit board. I have nickel strips now and 4 gauge copper wire now, so I will try again.

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

I thought the choke was to protect the mosfets from feedback from the pump motor?

The  choke  protect the FETs from overload  like a pump that do not start  and also when the pump shut off .     The rev 11.3 control board do not allow testing  as it shut off the inverter in less than a  second .    The choke  do  not have a chance  to help the pump  as  all power is shut down  and you do not have 10 seconds to see if the FETs  blowup or if the pump works .      This is good  but it  indicate the transformer is  not  design  properly   and  probably nothing  to fix  .     

ReplyQuote
(@steve)
Estimable Member

In my experience with fets they tend to instant fail from over current unlike bipolar transistors which just get hot.

That's not to say the fets aren't better, just that the safe parameters for them are much closer to catastrophe failure points than their predecessors.

Because the slicer bridge is still a HF inverter feeding a LF transformer the choke on the primary is critical for limiting the pulse current

Because it's a bridge slicer a FET sticking on one phase will destroy the FETs on the alternate phase of the same transformer terminal as soon as energized 

ReplyQuote
(@steve)
Estimable Member

In my experience with fets they tend to instant fail from over current unlike bipolar transistors which just get hot.

That's not to say the fets aren't better, just that the safe parameters for them are much closer to catastrophe failure points than their predecessors.

Because the slicer bridge is still a HF inverter feeding a LF transformer the choke on the primary is critical for limiting the pulse current

Because it's a bridge slicer a FET sticking on one phase will destroy the FETs on the alternate phase of the same transformer terminal as soon as energized 

As far as FET drive mine has 10v drive signal with 1uS rise and 0.5uS fall times.

That seems like decent drive to me

ReplyQuote
 Buzz
(@buzz)
Topic starter  

Choke arrived, way bigger than I thought it would be. Need two more batteries before I can test it

Choke.jpg

Choke2.jpg

ReplyQuote
(@robertm)
Estimable Member

Let us know if you notice any benefits when using this choke. I am testing small aftermarket chokes on my "8000" Power Jack AMG inverter. I connected both of my small battery banks to the inverter, and started a 1/2 hp motor. I needed a small auxillary load running before the motor would run continuously.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2