PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

Notifications
Clear all

Power Jack Choke

22 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Buzz
(@buzz)
Topic starter  

Bought a 12V 8000W UPower with the intention of running a 2kw well pump, on the side it says to use a choke. The well pump is 240v would I need two chokes? The listing didn't mention the need for a choke and the seller is no longer on ebay

Choke: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394138327667?hash=item5bc4799a73:g:m28AAOSwXVNiu8em

IMG_20220706_051402.thumb.jpg.118b88e6e02622cc6f3cbe11a62c8971.jpg

(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Don't think you'd need 2; at best, the external choke is a Band-Aid solution to the real problem: poor MOSFET drive.

ReplyQuote
 Buzz
(@buzz)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @sid-genetry-solar
Don't think you'd need 2; at best, the external choke is a Band-Aid solution to the real problem: poor MOSFET drive.

Thank you, 

Bought it before I realized there was better but heavier and much more expensive inverters. 

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

I mean, all knocking aside, PJ inverters can function pretty decent for small/light loads.  But they won't do what the label says 😉.

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

Choke:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/394138327667?hash=item5bc4799a73:g:m28AAOSwXVNiu8em

That is David  ebay account  and has good review and this account is still active .    He has 2  other  ebay  accounts  also active  and has good  review  .    His ebay  auction account  is shut down by ebay  for  a well  planned  scam  by PJ  in China .       

I mean, all knocking aside, PJ inverters can function pretty decent for small/light loads.  But they won't do what the label says.        I  brought 2  PJ inverter2  from David  that is still working  every day  at less that  4000  watts .   

ReplyQuote
(@robertm)
Estimable Member

On 7/6/2022 at 5:19 AM, Buzz said:

Bought a 12V 8000W UPower with the intention of running a 2kw well pump, on the side it says to use a choke. The well pump is 240v would I need two chokes? The listing didn't mention the need for a choke and the seller is no longer on ebay

Choke: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394138327667?hash=item5bc4799a73:g:m28AAOSwXVNiu8em

//content.invisioncic.com/g308908/monthly_2022_07/IMG_20220706_051402.thumb.jpg.118b88e6e02622cc6f3cbe11a62c8971.jpg

Keep us posted. I have the 24V Power Jack version of this inverter, and want to power a 1/2hp 240V 3-Wire pump. My initial attempts were failures. The inverter shut down within a few seconds.

ReplyQuote
(@steve)
Estimable Member

That sounds really close to what I was doing when my upower 10k blew.

If the choke makes it work I would love to know

Mine worked at first then shorted output FETs 

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

want to power a 1/2hp 240V 3-Wire pump. My initial attempts were failures. The inverter shut down within a few seconds.

The pump is  1200 watts  and should start .      Try to start a  microwave oven  which is 3000 watts .        Try 4/0 cable  copper wires  .         The battery connection inside may be loose .       Try  turn on a hair dryer first  and  then  turn on the pump  second .   

Screenshot (614564).png

ReplyQuote
(@steve)
Estimable Member

Tho open pic has a display on it

The others don't

What size is it.

Mine is the upower 10000W

And could start a 2kw pump.

Didn't live long doing it but was successful 

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

And could start a 2kw pump.

Didn't live long doing it but was successful 

The buyer on ebay  never know  what  PJ  put in the case  .     What I got is not what ebay  show  in auction  .    PJ  made a 40 FETs  prototype  8kw  inverter and that will  start  a 5 hp  air compressor  to my surprise  and is still  working .      

ReplyQuote
(@robertm)
Estimable Member

If an AC choke would be beneficial, I wonder if someone could identify something available for less than rayjunglepower is charging. He wants $100 to $200 for his three models. If I used one for starting maximum 230V 3000 Watt motor, what would be the parameters? 65uH  220A? Sid wrote that he felt that even with 230V power (two hots) one choke would be sufficient.

Would "Vertical Toroid Magnetic Inductor Wire Wind Wound 50uH 20A Coil" work if the pump is 15A?

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

It has 2 big caps and the ASL-2 transformer .          PJ  put a mini tiny mainboard  with 2 capacitor  is not enough and  ASL2.0  transformer  is a scram  to be a 8 kw inverter .      My  8 kw PJ  has a ASL5.0 transformer  and 4 capacitors .    I  test with 2 capacitors on the mainboard  of my 15 kw PJ and it will not start a microwave  with the  rev 11.1 control board .       rayjunglepower    account is closed on ebay  but  you can buy the  150 dollars  choke from his  other ebay account  and is easy to install  on  L1 and N    and maybe one will  be enough  .      IF PJ  install  4 capacitors     and mosboard with 6 FETS   and  ASL3.0  transformer   but instead   you need  a big choke  which   maybe still not work .    

Screenshot (614806).png

Screenshot (614808).png

ReplyQuote
(@robertm)
Estimable Member

My pump motor is 15A. Would a 50uH 20A choke work? 

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

The surge  of a 1/2 hp motor mabe 15A  but running is 5A .     15A  at 240vac is  3600  watts  wich is more than a microwave oven .    From the DC side  3600 watts at 24VDC   is   150A  and is more  than  20A  .       IF  your inverter can not start a microwave  now   then  no choke will help .       The  rev 11.3 control board will give a red light  alarm and shut down and  not blow the FETs .    IF  no red light alarm  but inverter shut down  then measure  the battery cable voltage  .     A properly  design inverter  do not need  choke  on L1  and N  .    

ReplyQuote
(@robertm)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @dickson

The choke that Power Jack is suggesting is an AC choke. It goes on the output side, right? If I buy a 50uH 20A choke, will that suffice? I will try to measure the amps required to start the motor. The motor is 230V and the surge amps are about 10A, so the watts are ~2500W. This maybe be possible with my inverter.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2