PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

Notifications
Clear all

Data logging

139 Posts
15 Users
1 Likes
(@thebutcher)
Reputable Member

Yes, this ain't my first rodeo 🙂  35 years and counting in service / repair / etc of ... lots of things.  118 doesn't support wifi comms but it was worth a shot to see if anyone was home.

ReplyQuote
(@thebutcher)
Reputable Member

Well, it may not be my first rodeo, but I can still fall off.  😆  I didn't send the start byte, so back to the drawing board, but not until tomorrow.

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Here's a code snippit I use for data reading:

// request a status data read.
msb_Send(0xAA); msb_Send(0x55); msb_Send(0x00); msb_Send(0x00); msb_Send(0x00); msb_Send(0x55);

If that helps.  ("msb_Send" just sends a single byte out of the appropriate serial port, nothing special.)

ReplyQuote
(@thebutcher)
Reputable Member

Appreciated but I was doing it via an old laptop + usb serial with perl.  Only realised I wasn't sending the 0xAA start byte after I put everything back together and tidied up the bench.  Still haven't gotten around to trying it again, been occupied with other things.

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

OK.  Just thought I'd put that snippit out so the string was really clear...particularly the checksum part.

ReplyQuote
(@busky)
Trusted Member

Wish I would have seen this earlier!  I had to figure out the protocol as well!  But it did manage to hack my MSB to farm the data.  I basically intercept the TX of the wifi and then retransmit to the MSB controller...  Asking for data every so often..

ReplyQuote
(@busky)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @sid-genetry-solar

The first [16:???] is cumulative kWh's  I have no idea what the second one is as well...

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @busky
The first [16:???] is cumulative kWh's I have no idea what the second one is as well...

I'll update the post with the info.  Is it whole KWH or partial KWH (seeing as most of the entries are ".1" precision, i.e. 100 = 10.0)?

ReplyQuote
(@busky)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @sid-genetry-solar
I'll update the post with the info. Is it whole KWH or partial KWH (seeing as most of the entries are ".1" precision, i.e. 100 = 10.0)?

whole kWh.  I guess they wanted to have the range go all the way up to 65k vs 6500...

Maybe that second 16 bits is the upper range for the kWh? that would be a lot of kWh's!! 🙂  It would be a very long time until I would get there!  I'm only at >700kWh's!

ReplyQuote
(@thebutcher)
Reputable Member

I have a few MSB left over from various things so have had one sitting on 24V AGM bank.  The normal load on the battery doesn't draw much, but there's also a 125l water heater attached.  During winter when it's on it pulls power from the MSB for a good part of the day.  I think I must have > 1.5MWh on the MSB, but firmware updates and resets have cleared the counter.  For all the problems I've noticed with them, once you overcome those problems, they do sit there and plug away day in day out.

ReplyQuote
(@busky)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @busky
Maybe that second 16 bits is the upper range for the kWh? that would be a lot of kWh's!! 🙂 It would be a very long time until I would get there! I'm only at >700kWh's!

I had a thought about those missing 16 bits.  I haven't tested it..  But maybe it's the power/ current from the DC (is it 5v?) load section?? I've never hooked a load to it.

ReplyQuote
(@thebutcher)
Reputable Member

The load output?  That's more or less battery voltage (current).  At least with ver 117 and 118 chargers I'm confident that there isn't a shunt involved with the load output terminals to allow it to sense load current.  There's only two IIRC, one on the PV side and one on the output of the buck inductor(s).  I can crack a 117 and a 119 open to check how much shunts and where.

ReplyQuote
(@busky)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @thebutcher
The load output? That's more or less battery voltage (current). At least with ver 117 and 118 chargers I'm confident that there isn't a shunt involved with the load output terminals to allow it to sense load current. There's only two IIRC, one on the PV side and one on the output of the buck inductor(s). I can crack a 117 and a 119 open to check how much shunts and where.

It thought the load was some regulated 5 or 12V output.  Now I'm curious myself to see what voltage it is....  🙂

I'll have to check when I get home from work...

ReplyQuote
(@busky)
Trusted Member

Yeah you are right it is battery voltage. my bad...  For some reason I thought it was some regulated voltage.

I didn't see any shunts on that "load" output..  I didn't look on the back though.  So that 16bits still remain a mystery..

ReplyQuote
(@amjednizam)

Hi all the way from Sri Lanka,

I have a MSB v118 USB version. There is an external WiFi Module of which I have attached pics of, that connects to it and basically makes the v118 WiFi compatible. But this module only gives current data and logging is not possible. I've been trying to hack into it following the method detailed above (read status 0xAA0x55.....) but haven't had any success. Tracing the paths on the WiFi module reveals that the lines go straight to the TX and RX pins of the ESP which makes me think it is TTL UART and hence I am using an FTDI board (USB to TTL) to try and read from it. Are there any steps before the read status that needs to happen (password protection etc..) there is a clear password option D05 on the MSB that I have cleared.

I haven't plugged in the WiFi module yet since I don't have one. (the pics are from another guy on a forum)
Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

PXL_20220528_161409441.jpg

IMG_6206.jpg

IMG_6205.jpg

IMG_6207.jpg

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 10