PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

Notifications
Clear all

Error When Generator Shuts Down

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@inphase)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

There are two events that I want to discuss.

1) The inverter was running with about 9.9 kW load. I wasn't present, but someone was near the inverter and claimed to hear "A pop like a breaker tripping and a flash of light from the lower left fan hole." The inverter continued to operate with no problem. There was no smoke or smell. I reasoned it could have been a bug that got himself fried, as I've seen similar in the past. But I thought I'd run that by you to see what you think as you know the machine inside and out.

2) I had about 11 kW load on the inverter when I manually kicked the generator on. The inverter stated it was in sync and then switched to pass thru. There is no transfer switch, just a connection from the generator to a 100 amp breaker and then two 50 amp breakers that feed each inverter. When I opened the start wires to shut the generator off, as the generator spun down the inverter tripped off and gave the error "AC Output Shorted". I suspect this could be avoided if the inverter controls the start/stop function AND opens it's internal AC input relay prior to shutdown. But I'm not sure if that's the procedure by default or if it can be setup that way. 

Guidance appreciated as always.

(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @inphase

1) The inverter was running with about 9.9 kW load. I wasn't present, but someone was near the inverter and claimed to hear "A pop like a breaker tripping and a flash of light from the lower left fan hole." The inverter continued to operate with no problem. There was no smoke or smell. I reasoned it could have been a bug that got himself fried, as I've seen similar in the past. But I thought I'd run that by you to see what you think as you know the machine inside and out.

Eeshh....not something I like to hear, obviously!  No smoke or smell...bit weird if there was a large amount of power dissipated.  Fingers crossed that nothing actually happened to the FETs, but it is worth noting that I have on rare occasions seen partial FET failure (i.e. blew 1-2 FETs out without skipping a beat) but did not cause a total catastrophic failure.
But then again, I had a flash and pop from my Morningstar Tristar TS-MPPT-60 several years back when powering it up--and as of right now, it has 60,214 hours on it, zero issues or complaints.

Keep me posted.  Bugs getting fried at 48v is pretty unlikely--but weird things can happen!

2) I had about 11 kW load on the inverter when I manually kicked the generator on. The inverter stated it was in sync and then switched to pass thru. There is no transfer switch, just a connection from the generator to a 100 amp breaker and then two 50 amp breakers that feed each inverter. When I opened the start wires to shut the generator off, as the generator spun down the inverter tripped off and gave the error "AC Output Shorted". I suspect this could be avoided if the inverter controls the start/stop function AND opens it's internal AC input relay prior to shutdown. But I'm not sure if that's the procedure by default or if it can be setup that way. 

Interesting.  Likely a bug/glitch: the inverter should simply drop back to the batteries as a power source without faulting out.  Worth noting that the "AC Output Shorted" error is very trigger-happy (as necessary to catch that sort of event).  Let me know if this is a repeatable error...I may need to add a clause in the firmware to disable that error in AC pass-thru mode (as then any short-circuit is the responsibility of the upstream power source).

ReplyQuote
(@inphase)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

@sid-genetry-solar 

I'm going to ignore the pop/flash for now as I didn't witness it. But as for generator power, which relay is responsible and what setting needs to be changed in order for it to be a maintained-contact? And am I correct in assuming that the internal transfer will disconnect generator power before opening the start contacts? Even if the AC fault was a fluke, I'd like to avoid it by having the genset out of the circuit before shutdown.

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

But as for generator power, which relay is responsible and what setting needs to be changed in order for it to be a maintained-contact?

You referring to the generator start function?

If so, "AC Input" -> "GEN Type" setting should be set to "Run" or "Ig->Strt".  In both cases, the "A" genstart relay should effectively be a "dry contact" output.

And am I correct in assuming that the internal transfer will disconnect generator power before opening the start contacts?

It should be an effectively simultaneous disconnect of both relays--and if anything, the internal transfer relay will disconnect before the genstart relay opens.

However, it may not prevent the "AC Output Shorted" error--as that is a separate function watching for high current and the AC output voltage reading being < 30vAC.  A large drop in the voltage + notable current flow -> AC Output Shorted error.  (This is why I may need to tweak this function slightly if it's being problematic!)

ReplyQuote