PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

Notifications
Clear all

Firmware update to 1.2r0 for A.1 / B GS inverters

27 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
21 hours ago, AquaticsLive said:

I am sure we aren't talking about the same process either I use a MPlab hockey puck.

Ah yes...I was referring to self-programming of the processor.  Because when the self-program or self-erase cycle is triggered, the CPU is stopped--making it impossible for the CPU to self-program while an erase cycle is in progress.  (I believe this is somewhat unusual; most other processors have to poll a flag to determine when the erase/programming cycle is complete.)

The processors program just fine with the MPLAB PICKit3.  It's just the self-programming that is completely nonfunctional...and confusing me to no end.

ReplyQuote
(@aquaticslive)
Reputable Member

1 hour ago, Sid Genetry Solar said:

The processors program just fine with the MPLAB PICKit3.  It's just the self-programming that is completely nonfunctional...and confusing me to no end.

Thanks for explaining, yeah that would drive me nuts too.  Learning from you always I will have to read and learn more about that.  I bet I could chain program these old machine boards if I could figure out how it works. 

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
1 hour ago, AquaticsLive said:

I bet I could chain program these old machine boards if I could figure out how it works. 

Hmm??  You referring to JTAG?

ReplyQuote
(@damian)

22 hours ago, Sid Genetry Solar said:

Ah yes...I was referring to self-programming of the processor.  Because when the self-program or self-erase cycle is triggered, the CPU is stopped--making it impossible for the CPU to self-program while an erase cycle is in progress.  (I believe this is somewhat unusual; most other processors have to poll a flag to determine when the erase/programming cycle is complete.)

Ii can't wait to get my inverter because I wan to install my samlex evo 3012 in my Jayco 3200SL with 6 set of lifemnpo4 

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @damian
Ii can't wait to get my inverter because I wan to install my samlex evo 3012 in my Jayco 3200SL with 6 set of lifemnpo4

Sorry, I don't know what this is supposed to mean??

ReplyQuote
(@aquaticslive)
Reputable Member

On 4/29/2023 at 12:08 PM, Sid Genetry Solar said:

You referring to JTAG?

I am in the reading and learning phase, to be honest I have never considered any of those features.  The boards have an extra flash chip on them that is not be utilized, so there are some options to look at for a fail-safe options.  Not a priority right now but nice to learn more, but can't use too much time tinkering on the company dollar.

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
40 minutes ago, AquaticsLive said:

I am in the reading and learning phase, to be honest I have never considered any of those features.  The boards have an extra flash chip on them that is not be utilized, so there are some options to look at for a fail-safe options.  Not a priority right now but nice to learn more, but can't use too much time tinkering on the company dollar.

Well, if I understand it correctly, JTAG allows programming of any number of devices on a board from a single port.  (All the devices have to support JTAG, of course.)

I've never gotten into processors powerful enough to use JTAG--well, except for the ESP32, although I've never had to JTAG it due to the bootloader allowing programming via UART.

"Chain program" was what got my attention to that end.

What kind of boards specifically are you referring to?

I ask because someone sent me a laundromat POS board some years ago--and last year I actually was able to program it utilizing RT-Thread...and at least get the display working.  (Touchscreen was on USB...that was a bit too hard to get working!)  I had to TFTP the binary in via Ethernet after getting it into bootloader mode...

ReplyQuote
(@notmario)
Reputable Member

JTAG is a standard for a kind of "puppet master" of chips on a particular board. What is does in a particular product depend on what features are exposed by the TAP.

It's probably better known for it's usage in debugging - what i used it for - reading/writing physical memory, modifying cpu registers, stepping the cpu instruction-by-instruction.

Extremely useful for debugging bootloaders, kernels, and drivers.

ReplyQuote
(@aquaticslive)
Reputable Member

On 5/7/2023 at 6:26 PM, Sid Genetry Solar said:

What kind of boards specifically are you referring to?

They are proprietary boards but the basics are they take in a RS485 message and split it out to drive solenoids to control automation solenoids and air valves.  Very modular so each section has as board they are linked with a RS485 interface using Cat5 with RJ45 connectors.  Each board has an RS485 address with dip switches.  The programing port is an RJ11 well that matches up with the puck programmer, so easy, but need to lay on the floor under the machine and program them.  The regular RJ45 interface cables can be connected to the programming port via a jumper, but this was never implemented, so been looking into that.  This is really old stuff and I have lost knowledge on it over the years after the newer stuff has been pushed out.  Always fun to think through some ideas though.  

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @aquaticslive
The programing port is an RJ11 well that matches up with the puck programmer,

If the main processor is a Microchip PIC...this could be a piece of cake to hack.

ReplyQuote
(@the-blind-wolf)
Prominent Member

On 4/9/2023 at 1:52 AM, NotMario said:

Can't knock the C board either. Have 11,000+ hours and 4.5Mwh on it. Lots of that spent in the deep freeze, too.

Sure wish my two poor gs would have that many hours and power output.lol. Maybe one day I can wash my cloths.  *snickers*  

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @the-blind-wolf
Sure wish my two poor gs would have that many hours and power output.lol. Maybe one day I can wash my cloths. *snickers*

I'm working on it @the-blind-wolf.  Trying to finish up some code tweaks today, then I'll push the update to the server.  We'll try an update and see if it makes the requisite difference.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2