PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

Notifications
Clear all

GS6K never comes off bulk charge

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@nilao)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

My inverter will not switch out of bulk to float automatically. I have to manually do it. It is in my semi truck with 4 deep cycle group 31 batteries. The charge setting is 25% @ 14.2V. I have tried it all the way to 14.5V but still will not leave bulk charge. The amps in drop to .2 and the voltage drops to 14.0 as well. What do we need to do to troubleshoot this issue? Thanks

(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

This is an issue I'm aware of and have fixed in the source (just haven't done tests / pushed the update out yet).  I had it so any "CC" spike would reset the "Absorb timer", which apparently happens more often than I expected--causing it to never switch to Float.  Adding a hysteresis to that should solve the issue.

ReplyQuote
(@nilao)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Awesome, don’t know if it would have hurt the batteries as I don’t know how many days it was at 14.5 before I caught it. 

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

My 4 AGM battery  is at 14.8 v  bulk charge almost all the time for 4 years .   I very seldom  float charge at 13.5 v .   I do not use the GS inverter to charge battery but use a delicated  AGM  battery charger .    The AGM battery are still like new .  

ReplyQuote
(@nilao)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Mine are regular lead acid deep cycle and can be boiled if not careful. 

ReplyQuote
(@steve)
Estimable Member

AGM is actually more sensitive to overcharge due to the acid being held in place

Either way 14.5 is a bit hot for sustained charging but generally ok

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

Bulk charging 14.5v  should stop at  SOC  80 percent to avoid boiling .  Charging should then go to float charging automatically until SOC 100 percent .  I use a dedicated  12v charger for AGM battery  and  a dedicsted 62v charger for lithium-ion  battery .   The expensive lithium-ion charger is 3000 watts .  

ReplyQuote