PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

Battery Busbars/Cab...

Notifications
Clear all

Battery Busbars/Cables?

33 Posts
7 Users
4 Likes
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member

I tried smashing copper pipe and even tried compressing it with a 20-ton press.... although it was smashing it >>> the end result was ugly and then drilling the holes was so inefficient and time-consuming...

that I bought copper busbars with the holes already drilled with insulators (4-inch x 12-inch by 3/8)

I have lots of salvage copper pipes but think it is better for solar hot water collector re-purposing projects...

tinned copper busbars with insulators using tinned copper lugs with copper cable in 4/0 is the way to go... (have to use some copper cable for various connections)

I can still buy 4/0 copper cable for 4 to 5 dollars a foot where as the 2/0 copper cable runs about 3-4 dollars a foot...

4/0 cable is a minimal price jump over 2/0 cables...

in these times of hyperinflation in the USA...

the same 10AWG solar PV wire I was buying for 25 cents a foot now is often 50 cents a foot... so inflation is a killer for copper prices and other metals as well

the same repurposed 4-inch x 12-inch 3/8 tinned copper bus bars were half the price a couple of years ago on eBay ....but in comparison to the Victron brand 1000 amp busbar, they are still quite cheap...

have a great day 😎

I scooped snow for several hours yesterday and also removed 4-5 inches of snow stuck to the 45-degree mounted solar PV panels....

makes me consider vertical mounting some solar PV panels in the snowy north...🤔🤔

ReplyQuote
(@notmario)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @pilgrimvalley

I scooped snow for several hours yesterday and also removed 4-5 inches of snow stuck to the 45-degree mounted solar PV panels....

makes me consider vertical mounting some solar PV panels in the snowy north...🤔🤔 

One advantage to living in the arctic ... 90-degree mounted panels remain snow-free all winter.
On the other hand... 2 hours of direct light per day at most. :/

Nobody pushing renewables ever lived in the arctic.

ReplyQuote
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member

Through the ice on the solar PV panels it still managed to charge the batter to 96 percent through the clouds today.... at least one of the batteries has more reserve for the moment and I rerouted to a different inverter until the sun comes out another day,,.. not working outside for too many hours,,, 6 degrees Fahrenheit with some wind is darn cold to me.... used a shop push boom to get the heavy snow off the solar PV panels....

wanting to do more but the body says >>> wait for the weather to break....🤔

I could (like to) avoid the cold winter year around and take the spring and fall weather...

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3