PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

When to throw in th...

Notifications
Clear all

When to throw in the towel.

8 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
(@the-blind-wolf)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Wel, had a fun day, was wireing up a balancer, on a 24v 280a bib battery bank, and was trouble shooting on what was going on, as one of my cells was hitting 4.0v and the balancer wasn't even doing a thing.  Guess some how there was some kind of short somewhere, or a wire got cross some how. not sure. all I know, all hell broke loose and all I could feel is heat comeing from the bms, and several popping sounds. luckly the way I had this bms setup I could snag it and yangk it off the battery bank which I did. but that left the balancer which wasstill humming along, so I unhooked all the lever wires. looks like one of the wires on the balancer was melted, its all gooey where the wire was solder and the wire it self. so the insulation  melted.

Anyhow.  I'm really considering on throwing in the towel.

Will fix my two GS inverts, but might consider on selling this stuff off.  Really I need to move it all to a shed outside, that way if it decides to go up in smokes I ain't got to worry about burning my house down.

(@dickson)
Noble Member

Will fix my two GS inverts, but might consider on selling this stuff off.  Really I need to move it all to a shed outside, that way if it decides to go up in smokes I ain't got to worry about burning my house down.

DANGER    yes I  move all my stuff outside .   Four years ago  everthing are in my  garage .  I watch Youtube  of battery burn the house down and insurance do not pay .  Now all my battery are outside in concrete box  and  I make a shed for the  inverter with a portable  14000 BTU AC  for cooling the inverter .     I feel bad for you .   

ReplyQuote
(@the-blind-wolf)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I ain't got that kind of money to get a shed, though I do have my 24ft box truck that I can move around.  I could use it as the shed and power house lol.  Plenty of room to put batteries in.  Would have to run a 40ft pipe in thr gournd and run a wire to the house.  Might be easier, and I can easyly put a new box outside that goes to the new breaker, and wire some kind of transfer switch between the two breakers so when the generation kicks off the grid picks up.  Might be the best thing to do. and if it goes up in smoke, all I have to do is jump in the truck fire it up, and drive it down the drive way a bit and let it rip!! 😛

ReplyQuote
(@steve)
Estimable Member

Just a thought

This happened when the inverters were down

You may have the charge controllers set too high

Obviously the balancers died, but the cells let go when full or empty so all charge current ends up in the balancer

Biggest fire risk is over voltage on a cell

dickson reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

Would have to run a 40ft pipe in thr gournd and run a wire to the house

I use 100 feet  underground cable  and not need  conduit or pipe .  

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @steve

Obviously the balancers died,

Rather unlikely: they're thermally protected, so if overdriven they'll "disconnect" temporarily.  More than likely the issue was crossed-up wires forming a short across a battery cell.

ReplyQuote
(@the-blind-wolf)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

@sid-genetry-solar Beats me, The first balancer in the pack never would get hot, it only got hot for a few seconds then just shut down when the cell was reaching 4.0v it like it never kicked on even when it was at 3.5  I took my one single one and hooked up to the cell and it kicked on and stay on. so, there was something going on.  Not sure what  Could it have been the fan it self maybe causeing the issue?  I think he has it wired on each end of the pack and going to a step down to power it.  Either way I'm sending it back to him to look at, cause there was some popping sound going on.   and one of the wires that was solder onto the pack melted off.

ReplyQuote
(@the-blind-wolf)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

also, chancers are it was the little stupid 30a bms that was popping and might been the cause of all the issue.  not sure why it would have been, as it was only used as a on and off switch, and the stupid thing would not cut power  to the pack even if a cell went over.  so going to have a 24v daily bms put on the blasted thing, at least I know it will turn on and off when it hits the voltage as I can program it to do so, all my other batts work that way when I set them up in the bluetooth app.

This post was modified 9 months ago by The Blind Wolf

ReplyQuote