PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

nh3 type fuses rate...

Notifications
Clear all

nh3 type fuses rated for DC

44 Posts
4 Users
4 Likes
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I recently have been buying nh3 type fuses and fuse holders...that are DC rated

Siemens brand for the most part

the fuse holders and fuses are different physical sizes and hard to interpret what size fuse holder is required??

evidently, they are more dependable than the class t fuses.... so I read?? but who knows?

the fuse is for prevention of damage to the wires and inverter etc...

I do note that the fuse itself will waste 8 to 14 watts as it is a continuous resister in the DC circuit...

I found that usage of watts interesting as I had not even considered that before..

the nh3 type fuses are approved in the boating standards ABC or whatever the standard for boats is... forget at this moment that abbreviation...

more later; 

13 inches of new snow in the last day to deal with again...🤔😎

(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @pilgrimvalley

I do note that the fuse itself will waste 8 to 14 watts as it is a continuous resister in the DC circuit...

I found that usage of watts interesting as I had not even considered that before..

According to Ohm's Law, 1 milliohm (= 0.001 ohms!) in a DC circuit running 400A = 160W of heat dissipation, so 8-14 watts is incredibly good.

ReplyQuote
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I bought 4 of these fuses in the 200Amp size; for $46.72 brand new including tax and delivery on eBay ((((so only $11.68 each))))

they are a larger physical size than some other ones I bought so they require a different fuse holder,  >>>>a larger size....

vs the class t fuses which are terribly high priced nowadays... again inflation is beating us to death .... the same way the tax man does.....

I am still trying to learn what all the electronic jargon and ratings indicate for these types of fuses...

ABYC Standards is the abbreviation I was looking for

This post was modified 4 months ago by pilgrimvalley

ReplyQuote
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

https://docs.rs-online.com/da6f/0900766b813eceae.pdf

I found this link on another forum for the Busman brand of NH-type fuses

the higher amp fuses get physically larger...

I will post pictures as I get more time and more organized and begin assembling the larger ESS LiFePo4.... using the new version 3 280Ah LiFePO4 cells....

but dealing with lots of snow issues as we have about 16 inches of new snow in the last few days.... and of course, it is down to minus 3  degrees Fahrenheit or less this morning....

plug in the diesel skid-loader but still a very cold hunk of iron to work in.... no heated enclosed cab comfort >>> not even a windshield (wish it had one) so definitely a frost bite magnet for the body🤔🤔🤔

This post was modified 4 months ago 3 times by pilgrimvalley

ReplyQuote
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

@sid-genetry-solar reported heat dissipation of a whopping power loss of 14.9 watts was a 200 amp Siemens NH type fuse for the rated power loss; 

the 100-amp one was 6.95 watts;

I will have to look up the 400 amp one to see its power loss at the rated amperage

ReplyQuote
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

the 400 amp >>> Siemens brand NH fuse >>> its power loss at the rated amperage is a 27.5 watts power loss and rated up to 440-volt DC

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

Siemens brand NH fuse 

Expensive fuse and breaker are require for yacht and ship to get insurance  for solar installation .    I  use DIN breaker  500A and 1000V from ebay is  not expensive less than 50 dollars each  .  

ReplyQuote
(@notmario)
Reputable Member

Posted by: @dickson

Siemens brand NH fuse 

Expensive fuse and breaker are require for yacht and ship to get insurance  for solar installation .    I  use DIN breaker  500A and 1000V from ebay is  not expensive less than 50 dollars each  .  

Careful with cheap breakers. "That's a mighty cheap looking fire you got there."

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

Careful with cheap breakers. "That's a mighty cheap looking fire you got there."

I know .   ALL my battery are in concrete boxes outside  and SOC is  80 or less .   One of my Li-Ion battery exploded  at SOC 100  this summer at 115 degree F.  and the cheap breaker also exploded    The fire is unstopable  and if this was on a boat then the boat will sink and no insurance .  

ReplyQuote
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

they say the nh type fuses will not explode like evidently the class t fuses have been reported to do...

lifepo4 is supposed to be safer than li ion type batteries;

but I do have the lifepo4 in an insulated off-grid shed.... but fire risk and or trying to make it all as safe as possible is still the goal...

not on a boat but still looking to make it safe....

as I get into higher amp lifepo4 builds🤔🤔🤔

ReplyQuote
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I bought the 2 different types (sizes) of fuse holder for the NH type fuses for anywhere from 12 to 20 dollars each so still under the 30-40 dollar price point per fuse...and fuse holder... for the NH type fuse..thinking the 400 amp fuse cost a little more on eBay...but do not see the price right this moment...

it looks like there may be 3 different sizes of NH fuse so three different physical sizes....of fuse holder where the 600 amp one may be a lot bigger physically....

still researching that but do not plan on needing a 600 amp fuse

the 400 amp NH type fuse may be as big as I will utilize in the NH type fuse...

only allowing a small window of time to make edits on this forum is always an issue to me>>>> as I try to type by the hunt-and-peck method...of typing >>> the high school typing instructor would have a fit with me...!!!!

yes, I think the high heat in the south is hard on all electrical things and ambient temperature is not considered by some inverter/ equipment designers as they over-rate the products....

be safe all,,,

snowing again here today and school let out early and the driver got stuck in my driveway... so I will have to get get the diesel skid-loader out in the cold again...to try to find a place to move more snow....🤔🤔🤔

ReplyQuote
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

LV HRC fuse element, NH3, In: 630 A, gG, Un AC: 500 V, Un DC: 440 V, Front
indicator, live grip lugs 

3NA3372

Siemens 630 amp fuse has a 44.8 watt dissipation heat loss in their datasheet

physical size I still need to identify/research but this is the same blade type , but likely a larger physical size

only for discussion as I still will not use a 690 amp fuse at this time... but it is dc rated for 440 volt DC

I found a 355 amp one for about 30 bucks...

hard to decipher the numbers and letters etc to know exactly what one is ordering >>> so research is a must....

ReplyQuote
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Siemens 355A Centred Tag FuseNH3690V acSiemens. RS Stock No.: 203-1982 ... gGFuse Speed, F. Overall Length, 147.4mm. Tag Type, Blade. Body Length, 72.3mm.

gG means ac and dc if I get that letter marking meaning correct???

ReplyQuote
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Siemens 3NA3360 is a 400 amp variety HRC (high rupture class) size 3 is the frame size Different datasheets say the same thing but with different wording

frame size will dictate the fuse holder size.... ((physical size))

the fuse holders I bought are ceramic-type material with 2 holes to mount them to another surface (((the ceramic base would be the insulator...))) likely better than plastic insulators as far as heat resistance goes...

these NH fuses seem to be more used in European countries ...

and the boating crowd

ReplyQuote
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I ordered three of the 250Amp fuses in the Siemens brand NH series for $12.05 including tax and delivery....today January 12th, 2024... 

the biggest NH-type fuses I ordered so far are Siemens brand 355Amp each and they cost me $21.88 each....on eBay... including tax and delivery

The NH-type fuses I am buying are made in Germany for the most part.... not the China knock-offs!!!! 

I find it hard to get DC breakers (at a reasonable price) that are not counterfeit (that I would trust) that are rated at high Amps as there are a huge number of fraudulent products on the internet....

John Daniel showed how he made some busbars using 3/8 inch thick solid copper 110 type for cheap and I think he said they have 1500 amp capacity....

he uses mostly 12-volt stuff but he has a lot of good ideas to save money on solar builds.... with a lot of years of experience....

more later,

too cold to go out and get the mail....maybe tomorrow.😎

lots of time avoiding the bitter cold outside as it is a reported -42 degrees below zero Fahrenheit with the wind chill. and 18-plus inches of new snow is hard to deal with... need to be a bear and hibernate

I have to feed the critters outside a couple of times a day and it is simply always amazing what livestock can tolerate...🤔🤔

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3