PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

Installing GS 6000

Notifications
Clear all

Installing GS 6000

47 Posts
5 Users
1 Likes
(@stephen-rossi)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

Hello, just received my GS6000 and am confused as how to wire the AC input and outputs.  I got this from Sean:

Top to bottom the terminal block is as follows

L1

N

L2

Input L1

Input N/L2.

I will be using  240 3 wire for the output understand that part.   But will also be using 20A 240 3 wire for input. How is that wired?  Is the neutral not used for 240. I have an older AC that just uses the 2 hots and a ground, is that what you are doing?  Also there are no ground lugs on the case. I plan on grounding that to my system anyway, Is that a problem?   I understand your manual is in process but some basic install instructions would be helpful. Steve

(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @stephen-rossi

I will be using  240 3 wire for the output understand that part.   But will also be using 20A 240 3 wire for input. How is that wired?  Is the neutral not used for 240. I have an older AC that just uses the 2 hots and a ground, is that what you are doing?

So the 3 output lines are literally the transformer secondaries.  (N = center tap.)

You can have a common neutral between input and output (and if you have everything grounded to the same post, they're going to be common anyway due to neutral-ground bonding) -> that would be the Neutral output terminal.

The two AC input lines go directly into a relay disconnect system that disconnects both lines from the transformer.  As long as the inverter can disconnect at least 2 of the 3 incoming lines, it can stop power flow--so with L1 / L2 being disconnectable by the relays, Neutral can be common between input and output.

Also there are no ground lugs on the case. I plan on grounding that to my system anyway, Is that a problem?

There's no ground lug because I couldn't for the life of me figure out what those things were called, and as a result, I couldn't find them for purchase!  I ended up putting an M3 screw in the AC output box for grounding purposes, but I'll be first to admit that it's not ideal at all.  (Since the inverters have started shipping, a customer did inform me that ground lugs are called "mechanical lugs"--and with that search term, I've easily found them.  Next production run will have that fixed.)

Grounding the case should not be a problem.  I'd advise some quick electrical voltage potential checks to battery and AC lines (while the inverter is running) before wiring it to ground--but it shouldn't be a problem.  (Internally there's a 10nF decoupling capacitor between Neutral and Ground.)

I understand your manual is in process but some basic install instructions would be helpful. Steve

These specifics weren't necessarily covered in it as it is right now anyway--probably could/should add some more diagrams.  Even though diagrams are the hardest part of it!

ReplyQuote
(@stephen-rossi)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

@sid-genetry-solar   Sid, ok, I will land both my input and output neutrals on the neutral  terminal between L1/L2.   The only bonding will be at my house panel busbar ground +neutral.    Yes, some diagrams would be helpful but i think i got it now.  I guess the input winding is also a center tap with a common neutral to the output winding.  Since i have you, question, can the inverter be "off" and in charger mode only?  Thanks, Steve

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

I guess the input winding is also a center tap with a common neutral to the output winding.

There isn't a separate "input" winding; when the inverter switches to AC Input, the internal relays simply bridge the AC input terminals to the AC output terminals (that is, after ensuring frequency match/sync, phase sync, voltage match, etc., etc.), and the output terminals are directly connected to the transformer secondary windings.

Since i have you, question, can the inverter be "off" and in charger mode only?

I'm here on the forums most every day, just keeping an eye on things.

Think I know what you're referring to.  In AC Mains mode (charge can be started/stopped at any time), the "inverter" functionality is idled anyway--as the exact same FETs that run "inverter" mode also run the charge functionality.  (It can't do both simultaneously.)  In this mode, like noted above, the internal relays have bridged the AC Input terminals to the AC Output terminals.

ReplyQuote
(@stephen-rossi)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

Understand when the AC Mains are hot that charging is on and the inverter is idled. In the case where the AC Main is lost due to power outage,  the inverter will start to supply AC Output(i assume).  I don't want the idling inverter to automatically start in the case of a power outage when I'm away. Can that be programmed in?

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

I don't want the idling inverter to automatically start in the case of a power outage when I'm away. Can that be programmed in?

Yes, you can set the System Mode to "AC Input Only", and it will just go into off state if AC input is lost.

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

but keep in mind when the inverter is in "AC Mains" mode, the AC input is connected to the AC output, so there will be power present on the AC output terminals.

ReplyQuote
(@stephen-rossi)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

Hello Sid, still haven't powered up the GS6000, progressing on install noticed the conduit box screws are a bit on the tiny side and they obstruct the conduit bulkhead fittings. The smallish unlabeled terminal block where i will have to land both neutrals on the one terminal, along with no real ground terminal lug is disappointing along with no install manual.  I wanted to give this a chance since it pretty much fit my split phase need and had a built in charger but getting a little concerned about the build quality since I'm installing this in my garage. I can see a "snake" of wires though the fan vent holes and they just look like spaghetti with no thought for neat orderly routing. You have been very helpful in quickly responding to my questions btw and i thank you for that. I can see from the other posters that this is a "hobby" for many of them. I don't need another hobby as mentioned to Sean when i purchased. Questions i should have asked initially but didn't, what is the warranty? How many of these units are installed now?   What is your return policy?

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Questions i should have asked initially but didn't, what is the warranty? How many of these units are installed now?   What is your return policy?

You had to check the box noting that you had read and agreed to the Terms and Conditions when placing the order.

As far as everything else...we do our best, and that's the best we can do. 

• That's the best terminal block I've yet been able to find...if I find a better one, I'll switch production spec to a better one.  Rated at 60A, or more than double the 25A of the inverter's continuous rated output.
  • Yes, other customers have noted the screws / AC output box situation--I did the best I could at the time in design.  I've got several notes for adjustments to the next batch.
  • I wasn't able to find proper ground terminals when ordering, and that's why the units don't have them.  (Since then, a customer informed me of the "mechanical lug" term--and that's exactly what I was originally trying to find.)
  • The universal transformer setup in the GS inverters does make a nightmare for orderly wire management.  That's a known side-effect of not having to keep track of and stock EIGHT different transformers for each inverter size.  It's also a side effect of giving customers the ability to rewire the inverter to use a different battery voltage in the field.  (And I've been surprised at how many customers have done that...changing a 24v inverter to a 48v, or even a 48v to a 36v!)

ReplyQuote
 JIT
(@jit)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @sid-genetry-solar

Hmm ... it's somewhat understandable given limited resources but it's still a disappointing response for customer concerns about basic things like not having an installation doc.

ReplyQuote
(@steve)
Estimable Member

Installation depends a bit on your setup

The previous install doc should work for most, but some of the warnings no longer apply and the current board has more capabilities 

ReplyQuote
(@steve)
Estimable Member

As far as product quality, these are very well made units, tho the wire routing could be better looking 

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @jit

Posted by: @sid-genetry-solar

Hmm ... it's somewhat understandable given limited resources but it's still a disappointing response for customer concerns about basic things like not having an installation doc.

Understood--but the problem is that I'm under a smashing deadline right now and I really can't do anything about that.  Aside from lose the job, that is.

I've managed to get user manual largely updated from the UI perspective, but the actual chassis layout is the hard part to update in the doc.  And across 60+ pages, there's a lot of info to try to make sure it's up to date before releasing it.

ReplyQuote
(@stephen-rossi)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

Sid, ok unit is up and running. have SOK batteries that are around 50% charge. 51.2v  what settings should i use and how to i input then on the 3 little buttons that are not labeled? The inverter will run when i  turn off the AC supply.  i put a small load on and the inverter was on , then increased the load to maybe 300 watts and it tripped and the alarm sounded with red light on the on off button.   What settings should i be using, what is the inverter set at? should it output 6kw without adjustments? It was tested to 6kw?

ReplyQuote
(@stephen-rossi)
Eminent Member Customer
Topic starter  

Sid, do you have at least a basic "how to" on setting up the unit? I don't need the whole manual, just some basic setup info.  Other posters mention an old manual version, can you post that?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4