PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

how do i update my ...

Notifications
Clear all

how do i update my GS inverter

13 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
(@bobby-t)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

its been awhile since i updated my inverter and i forgot how

(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Inverter will first need connected to a WiFi network.  (NOTE: Firmware versions 1.2r0+ allow "direct upload" of a firmware file from your phone--but your inverter is currently on 1.1r6, so a catch-22!)

Being as your inverter is on 1.1r6, this video goes over the connection process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r3hL0wwydA

Yes, I understand you're in the sticks and so watching videos may not be super-possible...so in essence, you'd do the following steps:

1. From the inverter LCD, navigate to the "WiFi" tab, press Enter, then "down" to the bottom line on the page (before it scrolls!), which will highlight as "Configure WiFi".  Press Enter.
  2. The inverter will generate a WiFi network (name listed on the inverter screen).  Use a phone/laptop to connect to this WiFi network.
  3. Depending on the make/model of the phone/laptop, it may automatically pop up the inverter's local server page -> if so, you'll see a list of WiFi networks that the inverter can see.  Select one, enter the password, click "Connect"--and hopefully it'll succeed without an issue.  (If it fails, retry.)
  4. If your phone/laptop does not automatically pull up the inverter's local server page, you'll have to directly navigate to it.  From the address bar, enter "http://192.168.4.1" -> if the phone is connected to the inverter's WiFi hotspot, this should pull up the inverter's local server page.

Once the inverter is successfully connected to the Internet via WiFi, it should pull the update info from the Genetry remote server, and find the latest firmware (as of this post, 1.2r5), highlighting it on the "WiFi" tab as "Get 1.2r5".  From there, you can tell it to download the update and install it.

ReplyQuote
(@bobby-t)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@sid-genetry-solar thank you Sid i will try tomorrow as it is storming here now and dont want to risk internet or inverter going down during update

ReplyQuote
(@bobby-t)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@sid-genetry-solar ive tried scanning the qr code and ive tried typing http://192.168.4.1 into the address bar and it goes nowhere

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @bobby-t

@sid-genetry-solar ive tried scanning the qr code and ive tried typing http://192.168.4.1 into the address bar and it goes nowhere

So the inverter needs to be on the "Configure WiFi" page (which if you got a QR, it should be!), and your phone (or whatever device) needs to be connected to WiFi hotspot that the inverter generates when the "Configure WiFi" screen is up.  If the phone isn't connected to the inverter, it won't be able to access the inverter.

ReplyQuote
(@bobby-t)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@sid-genetry-solar finally got it connected but its not showing any updates in update slot

ReplyQuote
(@bobby-t)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@sid-genetry-solar ok update finally showed up should i choose to restart now or after update ?

ReplyQuote
(@bobby-t)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@sid-genetry-solar update successful thank you for your patience and help have a great day

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

@bobby-t There was a small issue with the server not providing the update link to the inverter--that's why it wasn't showing up on your end.  Confirmed the issue on our end, will resolve it shortly!

Let me know if the 1.2r5 update provides improvements--or if there's something else that needs attention!

Worth noting that on 1.2r5 now you can pull up the inverter's local server on your phone (ONLY when your phone is connected to the same WiFi network as the inverter) to see what it's doing.  Lot of new features in 1.2r5 from 1.1r6!

ReplyQuote
(@bobby-t)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@sid-genetry-solar I got the update and my inverter seems to be doing ok.I cycled the power on and off a few times and the UPS did fine but when a storm comes through it will tell then because we usually lose power.

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @bobby-t

@sid-genetry-solar I got the update and my inverter seems to be doing ok.I cycled the power on and off a few times and the UPS did fine but when a storm comes through it will tell then because we usually lose power.

Understood.  Storms with power surges going every which way tend to trigger the inverter's "safety thresholds"--however, I can back those down as needed for optimal operation.

If you get a shutdown error on another storm, please try to remember to go to the inverter's 'Scope view, and take photos of the DVLT and DAMP pages BEFORE restarting/resetting the inverter (oh and the inverter error message as well).  This will show me what the inverter "saw" that caused the error trip--and will help me adjust the firmware further if necessary.

ReplyQuote
(@bobby-t)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@sid-genetry-solar where is scope view ?

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

I need to get that manual updated and on the website....

OUT page -> press Enter -> press Down once -> highlights "Scope" -> press Enter.  Then you can navigate up/down through the screens.  Exit with "Enter."

ReplyQuote