PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

Notifications
Clear all

GS Charger

13 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@the-blind-wolf)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Sid, just a thought.  Watching the Live show from Sean tonight, I thought of something about the charger pushing the GS inverter DC charging.

Why not come out with a GS DC Charger, that works along side the GS wifi line up.  One that can be used to take 120v or 240v and charge the bank and provide the needed power during a high load would trigger the Generator to kick on and provide the extra power to the GS inverters while keeping the batteries stable.

Just a thought of a add on.

(@waterman)
Reputable Member

I'm building one currently out of a PJ unit. It will have the original fan and temp controls and the transformer. As it was a 6K unit, I figure running it at 2K max will be fine. It is an ASL-1 transformer so I'll split the what used to be primary and feed it to 6 50 Amp full wave bridge rectifiers. The outputs of pairs of them will be joined in series so that they  will put out about 50 VDC and then feed that to a MakeSkyBlue  controller.

ReplyQuote
(@the-blind-wolf)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @waterman
I'm building one currently out of a PJ unit. It will have the original fan and temp controls and the transformer. As it was a 6K unit, I figure running it at 2K max will be fine. It is an ASL-1 transformer so I'll split the what used to be primary and feed it to 6 50 Amp full wave bridge rectifiers. The outputs of pairs of them will be joined in series so that they will put out about 50 VDC and then feed that to a MakeSkyBlue controller.

Thats all good, but, not everybody knows how to build those 😛  and I'm not going to try, unless I'm shown hands on. and besides that, I can't do that to my current pj cause its a 12v I need a 24v, and the biggest 24v charger I got is 10 amp and a 4A charger. 

ReplyQuote
(@bwicked007)
Trusted Member

Sorry to bring this back to life but I would like to see this aswell. Like the mpp inverter, I know gs already beats it by true output but if can figure out a hybrid inverter setup all in one unit.( were the panels hook straight up to charge or gti

ReplyQuote
(@bwicked007)
Trusted Member

C9AEF7D2-2977-4A86-98DC-579E0D72F478.jpeg

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @the-blind-wolf
Sid, just a thought. Watching the Live show from Sean tonight, I thought of something about the charger pushing the GS inverter DC charging.

I must have completely lost notification of this topic...

This is known as the "charge" function that is a stock feature in a GS inverter (including 2-channel generator start also built in).  Yes, the entire inverter load will be transferred to the AC input--but it is pointless to try to "charge" your battery bank if the charging power source can't handle the entire inverter load.  If the charge source can't offset the entire load, you'll still be in deficit, albeit at a slower pace.

Posted by: @bwicked007
Sorry to bring this back to life but I would like to see this aswell. Like the mpp inverter, I know gs already beats it by true output but if can figure out a hybrid inverter setup all in one unit.( were the panels hook straight up to charge or gti

Completely different request than the O.P., but increasingly common.

Several major problems:

• It's taken 2 years to get the GS inverter to where it is.  I really don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to (i.e. designing an MPPT), when there are viable options currently on the market.
  • It will not be a "Free" addon.  The inverter cost will have to go up significantly for the added equipment--otherwise we go bankrupt.
  • I like to make things small.  There is barely room in the GS 6k chassis for any addons (because of the size of the transformer)...and there is NOT room in the 12kw GS inverter for addons.
  • If I should design and add an MPPT input to a GS inverter...it would have to be able to support the entire wattage of the inverter (i.e. 6kw MPPT in on a 6kw GS.)  This is far easier said than done, especially as GS 6kw inverters can be configured for 12, 24, 36, 48v input.  Amperage is the killer in every case--and that would require an MPPT that can handle over 500A @ 12v.  You won't find an MPPT that can come close to even half of this amperage that will fit inside the chassis.  Not to mention the heat generated.
    • If the MPPT can't handle the full wattage, you end up having to add external MPPTs to make up the difference.  Suddenly there's 2 different technologies at play here, and getting them to work together is a pain.  I know: I have 2 different kinds of MPPTs on my solar system (Morningstar Tristar and Epever Tracer).

Peanut gallery says, "I can't figure out why you don't just 'add an MPPT to the inverter'." 

The reason being that it's a whole lot more complicated than "just add something."  Design, testing, engineering, programming...all of that takes a significant amount of time and money.  And right now I really don't have either.

I've considered off-the-shelf boards, but can't find any of those either.

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

The reason being that it's a whole lot more complicated than "just add something."  Design, testing, engineering, programming...all of that takes a significant amount of time and money.  And right now I really don't have either.

I  work in  manufacturing  and it is very  hard  when  the  sales  department  sell  somthing and not  realize  the  item  can not  be made  at that price  or sometime it can not be made at all  and the  fighting  continue .      I  think  the  GS  12kw  need to be  done  as soon  as possible  as the  testing  is taking  a lot of time  for 2  people .  

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @dickson
I think the GS 12kw need to be done as soon as possible as the testing is taking a lot of time for 2 people .

Honestly right now the 12kw is "backburnered"...simply because there's only so much 2 people can do at a time.

I've spent the past few days soldering, programming and testing Rev. C boards to ship out to Sean for customers that are waiting on 6k inverters w/ C boards in them. Plus code work, oh, and more WiFi boards....

...there's only so much 2 people can do.  With Sean having fractured his ankle this past week, that really didn't help anything.

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

there's only so much 2 people can do.  With Sean having fractured his ankle this past week, that really didn't help anything.

I  saw the  youtube video  and  look bad  and may need  surgery .  Bad time for this to happen  when  everything  seem to be  doing good .  Hope he get well  soon.  

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @dickson
I saw the youtube video and look bad and may need surgery . Bad time for this to happen when everything seem to be doing good . Hope he get well soon.

Nah, just a boot to keep the foot immobile and 6 weeks.

ReplyQuote
(@bwicked007)
Trusted Member

Yeah I forgot about that. Continue the great work guys! & I wouldn’t mind taking an application for a J.O.B.😁

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

1 hour ago, Bwicked007 said:

Yeah I forgot about that. Continue the great work guys! & I wouldn’t mind taking an application for a J.O.B.😁

Seems that everyone thinks "business = lots of money floating around."

I wish it worked that way.

...Sean's staying afloat because his wife's job.

...and I'm staying afloat through a combination of being frugal AND working with a local contractor to reroof houses / lots of misc odds and ends.

At least right now R&D is consuming pretty much all of the "profit" we might've made on selling inverters.  There's work to be done, for sure...just not money in said work to pay any bills.

ReplyQuote
(@bwicked007)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @sid-genetry-solar
Seems that everyone thinks "business = lots of money floating around."

Sent you a msg Sid. Not looking for money I have enough with current job.

ReplyQuote