PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

Notifications
Clear all

Genetry Solar Inverter 'Split Sync' Mode

18 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sean-genetry-solar)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

This thread is for all the details of our new 'Split Sync' mode that we offer on all our GS inverters. This topic will be updated by myself and Sid with all relevant info pertaining this new mode. 

In basic terms, the Split Sync mode allows you to run 2 inverters together that will share the load of a 240V service panel. It is similar to daisy chain but is a preferred method when running just 2 inverters. It allows you to double your surge and load capabilities assuming you have a well balanced service panel.

Each inverter acts like a Single L coming into the panel and they operate 180 degrees out of phase from each other.

There is a downside to this mode. If you have purchased a GS inverter you will need to send it in (or do yourself by breaking warranty) because the inverter needs to be rewired for 120V regardless of if you chose to have 120v inputs. If your plan is to run in split mode and you have not purchased an inverter then it can be setup here. Another Downside is you can only run with 2 inverters. So if you plan to have 3 or more inverters then this mode would not work for you and daisy mode would be the only option.

The picture below shows 2 inverters setup for Split Sync mode.

S = Slave Inverter (Inverter must be set to "Split Sync Slave" in the LCD)

M = Master Inverter (Set as Normal)

N = Neutral

E = Signal Patch

L1 = Line 1

L2 = Line 2

NN + NN are tied together between the 2 units.

E + E are tied together between the 2 units. M L1 + S E

L2 + L2 are NOT tied between the 2 units but rather tied together at the inverter to give full output

L1 + L1 are NOT tied between the 2 units but rather tied together at the inverter to give full output

N + N are tied together between the 2 units.

Your L1, L2, N would lead to the breaker panel in much the same way a 240V Split phase inverter would.

//content.invisioncic.com/g308908/monthly_2021_05/20210518_104842.thumb.jpg.66c1070046fb973cca0781b0b4323e48.jpg

//content.invisioncic.com/g308908/monthly_2021_05/image.png.896ee2c3324100d6508ba1f4a1677226.thumb.png.21fe768c0696219fb03e4f66b4050e9b.png

(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Edit by Sean : Fixed the OP to reflect the correct info.

EDIT: "E" "E" as pictured do NOT get tied together.  "E" is the input AC signal line. 

For the master inverter, you can either connect this to a generator input (120v only), OR you can put the master inverter in "master split-sync mode", and connect this input to the "L" output of the slave inverter.  In this setup, the master inverter will shut down if it detects the loss of a feedback signal (i.e. "slave" inverter shut down for whatever reason.)

For the "slave" inverter, this "E" terminal goes to the "L" output of the master inverter; this is the sync input signal, which the "slave" offsets by 180 degrees.

ReplyQuote
(@the-blind-wolf)
Prominent Member

1 hour ago, Sid Genetry Solar said:

EDIT: "E" "E" as pictured do NOT get tied together.  "E" is the input AC signal line. 

For the master inverter, you can either connect this to a generator input (120v only), OR you can put the master inverter in "master split-sync mode", where it will shut down if it detects the loss of a feedback signal (i.e. "slave" inverter shut down for whatever reason.)

For the "slave" inverter, this has to go to the "L" output of the master inverter; this is the sync input signal, which the "slave" offsets by 180 degrees.

Oy. confusing much. . .  Sean post really thrown me for a loop. . . and Sid yours just did too.  

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

Please   show  photo  of the 2 GS 120vac inverters   wired  as split sync mode .   

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

//content.invisioncic.com/g308908/monthly_2021_05/image.thumb.png.29bff83aea7a6e14fb33489adedd41cd.png

Here's the best I have for that.  Notice that there are 2 "L" and 2 "N" outputs for each inverter, this paralleling is necessary for the 50A total at max load.  Wires are rated for the 25A max load @ 240v, so when we go to single-phase, the full output load at 120v is 50A.

Sync wire is the green one; that provides the "sync" signal to the slave inverter to follow.  The unused terminal on the "master" inverter is the 120vAC input.

EDIT: Just realized this is an older photo without the stickers.  Master inverter is on the right, slave inverter is on the left.

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

Slave  always label  L2   and  master always label L1  .     E on slave  always go to  L1  on master  .    L1   on slave go to  breaker panel  and  L2  on master  go to  breaker panel  and  one   neutral  wire   from  either  slave or master  go to breaker panel .    Never  connect  E  from  master  to  L2  or bad  thing  will happen I think  .    Thank you .   

ReplyQuote
(@sean-genetry-solar)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @the-blind-wolf
Oy. confusing much. . . Sean post really thrown me for a loop. . . and Sid yours just did too.

Sorry I put the sticker in the wrong spot and neither Sid nor I noticed till this post. It is correct on the video though.

ReplyQuote
(@sean-genetry-solar)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @dickson
EDIT: "E" "E" as pictured do NOT get tied together. "E" is the input AC signal line.

Corrected the photo above

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @dickson
Never connect E from master to L2 or bad thing will happen I think

You can connect E from master to L2 (slave L) if the master is configured for "master split-sync" mode, in which case the signal becomes a "stay on" signal.  (If it's in Normal mode, it'll really get confused trying to sync to this 180-degree offset wave.)

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

"master split-sync" mode, in which case the signal becomes a "stay on" signal.     

Many  different  programs  in wifi  board and  need to be careful  .     Thank you .   

ReplyQuote
(@the-blind-wolf)
Prominent Member

When you do your Manual. . . *cough*  Might want to make sure you have a big clear with correct wire color picture for those who can't read. . .  And Correct Wording for those who follow everything to the letter. . .  *Evil Grin*

Also, I would personily change the E to a S for the letter Sense wire. or SW if you going to slap a sticker on the terminal to indacate this.  Not Many going to know what E is.

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Yeah, when....

Currently loading up a PCB manufacturer's cart with 9 separate PCB designs that need prototyped before sending them off to production...

...oh, and revising a few of the designs while I'm at it.

ReplyQuote
(@the-blind-wolf)
Prominent Member

Posted by: @sid-genetry-solar
Yeah, when....

9 pcbs?  all gs related or other new hush, hush products. . .

ReplyQuote
(@sean-genetry-solar)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @the-blind-wolf
When you do your Manual. . . *cough* Might want to make sure you have a big clear with correct wire color picture for those who can't read. . . And Correct Wording for those who follow everything to the letter. . . *Evil Grin*

The stickers were for you only basically to help your electrician hook it up. I used some old power jack stickers I had laying around to label everything for you. I did not have a big letter S in the sticker pack. For everyone else they will need to read the manual since I don't want to put stickers all over our inverters and turn them into power jack. 

E to me is like Equipment.

ReplyQuote
(@the-blind-wolf)
Prominent Member

Ah.  Well E still could mean Earth Ground too. like Equipment ground.

Not sure how hard it would be, maybe on the next order, have some plates made with the split phase lettering setup on it and one wit the normal, and you can just change out the plate when somebody orders it that way.

The inverts are out for delivery right now by the way.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2