PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

chickens for eggs a...

Notifications
Clear all

chickens for eggs and meat, also hair sheep are good for small scale homesteads

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
pilgrimvalley
(@pilgrimvalley)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

i have been raising hair sheep the last few years and like them a lot. i have raised many different animals through the years...

hair sheep shed their coat without shearing and their meat is a bit leaner than normal sheep >>>  kind of like deer or buffalo meat...

i raised goats also in past years, but milking them is not something i would care to do... although it is possible.

chickens are a good animal for the small farm. fairly efficient on feed...

the hair sheep will help you clean up the acreage....inexpensive lawn mowers....they reproduce readily with 2-3 lambs common. i think i average 2 lambs....

all animals must have a certain amount of protection from predators.... that is the big / hard part....

most problem i had with the predators bothering the chickens...

i have shot at coyotes to keep them away... a big worry at times...

have a great day... 

just thought i would toss out some ideas to you!😎

this momma hair had twins 2 days ago found the at about 7pm in the wind...they wer just born as she still passing the afterbirth...

i get white ones, brown ones, black ones,,, different color patterns,,, i like the colors...

20220422_201251_HDR.jpg

20220422_201302_HDR.jpg

(@notmario)
Reputable Member

Chickens are great. Effortless, so anyone can do them.
They convert your garbage into Meat and Eggs! A medium sized family's scraps alone can sustain a decent sized flock. They eat pretty much anything -- they'll even drink your sour milk. They're also great for compost, they eat the flies and turn it for you while they search.

We are looking into larger livestock that might be practical for an arctic climate. We are considering Mangalica pigs... The meat has a lot of fat as an ideal supplement for the extremely lean game meat up here, and i understand they handle the winter better than most livestock -- not that any livestock handles it very well.

Posted by: @pilgrimvalley
i have been raising hair sheep the last few years and like them a lot. i have raised many different animals through the years... hair sheep shed their coat without shearing and their meat is a bit leaner than normal sheep >>> kind of like deer or buffalo meat...

We are considering sheep too, but we don't really need the wool as we have game hide. Sadly leaner meat is a drawback for us since fat is hard to come bye.

ReplyQuote