PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

Is anyone else havi...

Notifications
Clear all

Is anyone else having problems connecting after the last Android update?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@waterman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Mine was working fine until then and now nothing. It sees the unit, it has the correct password, but it will not connect. Also won't connect to the new one that arrived today. Even though it sees it just fine.

(@1000er)

Hello,

same Problem here... any solution?

My device new/installed.

Greetz

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Unfortunately, we are not a dedicated MakeSkyBlue forum (actually not using MakeSkyBlue products much anymore either).  The only place you're likely to get any answers in this case would be at https://makeskyblueusa.com/forum/

ReplyQuote
(@1000er)

Hi Admin,

and Thx!

I found out...it will work with Android 4.4.2

ReplyQuote
(@busky)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @sid-genetry-solar
Unfortunately, we are not a dedicated MakeSkyBlue forum (actually not using MakeSkyBlue products much anymore either). The only place you're likely to get any answers in this case would be at https://makeskyblueusa.com/forum/

What are you using instead for charge controllers?

ReplyQuote
(@thebutcher)
Reputable Member

2 cents worth of comment.  My main charger is a Victron with two Renogy 'Rover' 40A chargers assisting.

The Renogy chargers perform well enough.  They appear to be OEM by SRNE with a custom case and branding to Renogy's spec.  SRNE model is ML2440.  Internally they are the same, the bluetooth dongle is the same, and the modbus register map is the same, same serial port options RS232 / RS485 etc etc.

Like so many other Chinese products the calibration isn't fantastic but it's pretty close.  They do have external temperature sensors to support proper charging of lead acid batteries but do not extend temperature control to be able to halt charging in low temperatures, like the Victron charger can, to assist with lifepo4 batteries that have a BMS that doesn't include low temperature charging cut off.  There are bugs in the firmware, to be expected given country of origin and there has never been, at least as far as I can tell, a firmware update from SNRE and don't even think about asking Renogy for a firmware update (cue raucous laughter).

ReplyQuote
(@busky)
Trusted Member

The victrons are just soooo much more expensive!  I wish I could justify it! I wonder what @sid-genetry-solar and @sean-genetry-solar are using now....

If I had time, I'd hack my broken one and try to write my own MPPT algorithm...  But I'm not retired yet! So no! 🙂 

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @busky
I wonder what @sid-genetry-solar and @sean-genetry-solar are using now....

I initially bought a Morningstar Tristar TS-MPPT-60.  It remains to date the best MPPT I've ever had.  (Also the most costly 😉.)  Super easy to interface to, very efficient (no fans), excellent array tracking, etc.  Stellar A+ customer service as well.  My unit currently has 44,547 hours on it, and I'm very happy with it.  My biggest complaint is the 150v max input voltage--seeing as the higher wattage panels these days do so by increasing the voltage, and keeping the current closer to 8A.  Works fine on the smaller panels I have, though.

Added more solar a few years back, and utilized two Epever Tracer 8420AN MPPTs.  I like them for the 80A output current, the 200v maximum DC input, AND the fanless design.  However--as with any Chinese-designed units, they have their shortcomings/quirks.  Most notably, the voltage regulation is SO slow that they will "overshoot" the desired battery voltage for several seconds if a large load (i.e. load on an inverter).  And not by just a half volt, either.  Epever's official solution is to set the "high battery voltage cutoff" so if their MPPT overshoots the specified voltage, it will shut itself off, then regroup and start over again.  Quite stupid, but hey, like @thebutcher pointed out...good luck getting any improvement to the firmware of a Chinese-produced product.

Sean is currently testing/trialing some AmpInvt MPPTs.  Another Chinese company; obviously, I'm not keeping close tabs on Sean's system, but what I HAVE noticed when I've been at his place, is that these tend to fail at determining the actual MPPT point from the panels.  In other words, they'll have the solar panel voltage down at battery voltage (i.e. 55v) in dark cloudy weather--which KILLS your power production.  The max power point is somewhere past 100v--which with the "constant current" solar panel characteristic, means it's only able to produce HALF the power it should.  These MPPTs also utilize fan cooling.

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @thebutcher
and don't even think about asking Renogy for a firmware update (cue raucous laughter).

The fun of selling rebranded Chinese stuff...and the reselling company doesn't have the foggiest notion what's actually inside.......or how it even works.

ReplyQuote