PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

Notifications
Clear all

Progress update towards 1.1r6....

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

It's been awhile since the last update...I haven't been sitting on my laurels, but am trying to keep a lot of projects going.  Gotta pay the bills somehow--but at the same time don't lose track of promised features......

As of right now, I have the following items on the 1.1r6 update feature list.  Many are Rev. C exclusive (due to features only possible with Rev. C's power handling systems):

• [C] add input voltage sensor calibration due to extreme variance in sensors.

• also provide default mathematically "correct calibration" value for both sensors.
  • [C] add AC Input Current readout on LCD
  • [C] finally implement AC Input MaxAmp functionality, where the inverter will automatically throttle charge current down to avoid going over the configurable maximum input current limit
  • [C] fix AC input-output voltage matching for seamless transition (apparently randomly getting reset to config voltage)
  • [C] fix noise on AC input voltage readout when no AC input voltage present
  • [C] revamp overload alarm/error code, now handled via control board (not WiFi board)
  • [B/C] minor modifications to error handling, now non-critical errors end at zero crossing
  • [B/C] fix power-off "pop" from transformer (ending sine at zero crossing before power down)
  • fix missing gate on "battery charge" threshold causing it to switch to AC Mains even if Battery Charge was set to Manual
  • restore "Unlock Inverter" menu item (code bug!)

• fix broken gate on "Unlimited" setting (oops!)
  • fix JSON / remote server thermistor (non-readout) bug caused by adding Rev. C support [customer report!]
  • correct UVP/OVP Alarm hysteresis...was >2v instead of 0.25v (@ 48v)
  • revise Command menu behavior (ATS only visible if AC Input present, Charge now auto-switches ATS)
  • implement PFC-style charge functionality (successfully increasing charge efficiency from 60% to 73%--probably can be improved further!)
  • finally implement timed multistage battery charge (i.e. bulk -> float/disconnect after CC->CV timer expires) [not tested yet]

I still have plans to completely redesign/renovate the WiFi connection/inverter direct data access.  That plan got derailed due to serious stability problems (WiFi board constantly crashing)--the current system DOES work, albeit very crudely.

(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I am currently working on adding a "TEST" function.  This allows for direct test control of the internal components of the inverter.  If used incorrectly, it can be very dangerous--and as such will only allow you to enter the mode if no AC power is detected on the inverter.  You can manually cycle the MOSFET control lines, manually cycle all 6 relay coils, etc.  Basic, but very valuable.

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

As of right now, I have the following items on the 1.1r6 update feature list.  Many are Rev. C exclusive (due to features only possible with Rev. C's power handling systems):

revise Command menu behavior (ATS only visible if AC Input present, Charge now auto-switches ATS)

Is ATS grid backup  where the 12kw will switch to grid  240vac  AC when the battery voltage is LOW  and switch back to inverter when battery is charge up  on this update ?  

Sean say  he want this features  on youtube .   

manually cycle all 6 relay coils, etc.  Basic, but very valuable.    Is that why the relay is so expensive because they  must never fail or do your  software  detect a bad relay before  diaster  occur if relay fail  and  shut down the inverter  so no backfeed  to the grid  ?   

Thank you  as  this is my concern about the 12kw that it has ATS grid backup .   

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @dickson
Is ATS grid backup where the 12kw will switch to grid 240vac AC when the battery voltage is LOW and switch back to inverter when battery is charge up on this update ?

I don't have it listed on the release notes when this was added, but it's been around for several months now

Sean say he want this features on youtube .

Sean has demonstrated this feature on YouTube back in November:

Is that why the relay is so expensive because they must never fail or do your software detect a bad relay before diaster occur if relay fail and shut down the inverter so no backfeed to the grid ?

The relays are expensive due to being state-latching relays (requiring no power to maintain state), and being rated for at least 70A apiece.

The GS inverters watch to make sure the AC output falls when the relay is turned off, before restarting inverter mode--this does make a noticeable glitch, though.  (This prevents a backfeed condition.)  If the relay takes too long to turn off (or loads connected to the inverter keep an AC voltage visible on the output), the inverter will shut down with a backfeed error.

Thank you as this is my concern about the 12kw that it has ATS grid backup .

All GS inverters have this function.  The GS 12kw inverter will have the exact same control board as the GS 6kw inverters, with the same features.  Just bigger mainboard and more MOSFETS.

ReplyQuote
(@dickson)
Noble Member

The GS inverters watch to make sure the AC output falls when the relay is turned off, before restarting inverter mode--this does make a noticeable glitch, though.  (This prevents a backfeed condition.)  If the relay takes too long to turn off (or loads connected to the inverter keep an AC voltage visible on the output), the inverter will shut down with a backfeed error.

The gitch  is ok in the youtube video and your program to shut down with a  backfeed error is  good  for me to wait for the GS 12KW  .    Sean  say  2 GS 6kw  120vac split synced  can not do ATS grid backup because no  240vac input  but  one  GS 6kw wired 240vac can do  ATS grid backup  ?     

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Sean say 2 GS 6kw 120vac split synced can not do ATS grid backup because no 240vac input but one GS 6kw wired 240vac can do ATS grid backup ?

In split-sync mode, the AC input on the "slave" inverter is used for the sync input.  This renders it unusable for AC input--so a split-sync setup in this case can only handle 120v AC input on the master.  Due to the lower voltage (120v vs 240v) and unchanged wire/transformer ampacity limits, this limits the maximum safe AC input to 1/2 the nameplate rating (i.e. 3kw for a 6kw GS).

Regardless of that, the "master" inverter can still do an ATS switch (albeit on 120v single-phase).  The "slave" inverter (producing the other phase) will always be running on battery.

Once I get a separate sync cable implemented on the next run GS inverters, I will have to revisit this and see if there is some way we can handle split-phase AC input/output across 2 inverters.

ReplyQuote
(@blackwaterpark)
Eminent Member

Great news, Sid! Look forward to the update.

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Was considering whether or not to implement the "hybrid load sharing" function on this update or not (where the inverter can automatically pull power from the battery to "limit" the input AC current to the customer-specified limit).  From a technical standpoint, it's really close (just need to test/debug the actual funcionality).  From a proper implementation (actual regulation, etc.), there's a good bit of work/testing that needs to be done ;-).  Probably will push that towards 1.1r7, as I need to release 1.1r6 ASAP.  Plus I'm sure there'll be a few bugfixes necessary to 1.1r6 after customers fully test every inch of code I didn't think to...

WiFi redesign will have to wait a bit longer as well.  Current implementation does work, if not as good as it could.

"Test mode" is coming along very nicely...came in very handy for identifying the faulty LF Driver board chip on a new batch of driver chips I got from AliExpress.  (Output's completely blown on that one "brand-new" chip.)  Will be opening a dispute on those chips, they didn't ship what I ordered (different package and pin spacing, though at least so far similar function), and seems there's bad ones mixed in the batch--which just simply isn't funny, especially when I bought 200pcs.

<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2022_01/Untitled1.jpg.8e0cb685f363c585efb526de2fe8836b.jpg

Yes, the RGB power switch flashes purple in Test mode.  The Exit allows you to exit back to "OFF" mode (very valuable if you don't want the inverter to drive FETs), or to "Normal" mode if everything checks out.

Main things I need to test before releasing the update mostly center around the multistage charge implementation...whether it actually works or not 😉.

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
1 hour ago, BlackWaterPark said:

Great news, Sid! Look forward to the update.

Major redesigns on charge as well, I removed the "/2" on the internal max current calculation--which was an arbitrary scale to start with.  I don't know just how much charge output the inverter will be capable of (and can't really test it with my setup)--but if you have plans to run it hard, you could provide some very valuable data points in testing.  (Obviously, the inverter will throttle back based on internal temperatures if it does get hot internally.)

ReplyQuote
(@blackwaterpark)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @sid-genetry-solar
I don't know just how much charge output the inverter will be capable of (and can't really test it with my setup)--but if you have plans to run it hard, you could provide some very valuable data points in testing.

Welp, I can run it past it's official "maximum" output number anyway, but not terribly further than that.  I'll be more than happy to run my bank down to flat and throw the 7500 running watts I've got through it for what would likely be about 5 hours or so.

ReplyQuote