PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

Notifications
Clear all

Need some support

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@inphase)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've received some replacement parts. The underside of the power board is also damaged by what looks like ceramic capacitors exploding. I think it could be repaired if I knew the capacitance value. I figured a replacement power board would be like a unicorn at this point.

Also, assuming I can get the power board repaired, I'll need some startup support. Please advise. Thanks

(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @inphase

I've received some replacement parts. The underside of the power board is also damaged by what looks like ceramic capacitors exploding. I think it could be repaired if I knew the capacitance value. I figured a replacement power board would be like a unicorn at this point.

Also, assuming I can get the power board repaired, I'll need some startup support. Please advise. Thanks

AFAIK Sean is providing a replacement mainboard + the testing startup support?

FWIW the caps are 10uF 100v MLCCs.  Interestingly, the most common failure for MLCCs that have been flex-damaged...is a short circuit.  And unbeknownst to me at the time I specced the parts on these boards, the larger MLCCs can also be purchased in a "flexible" or "anti-bending" package to mitigate this.  Two and two together = perfect explanation for what happened.  Repair could be possible, but the cap short-circuit failure also appears to have vaporized the PCB copper near the caps as well.

I went with the 2220 size because I figured they'd be able to dissipate more heat + potentially be easier to manufacture.  But the larger size is more susceptible to flex-damage; said caps appear to also be available in the 1206 size, which I haven't had any issues with.

These caps are just trying to squelch the high-frequency spikes/noise/hash that results from high-power switching.  (Worth noting that EVs use physically large capacitors with sub-milliohm ESRs for the same purpose.)

ReplyQuote