PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

Notifications
Clear all

New Wifi page registration and MQTT

23 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
(@aquaticslive)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @sid-genetry-solar

Similar: my challenge with Firefox on Android phones is that it doesn't handle RAM limitations very well, and crashes very easily.

I have never experienced that, but I think it comes down to preferences.  I use Firefox on my phones because it runs slim and faster and the same on all the devices, Chrome is handy though because it has more access to all the pieces of the phone.  Its all about what you prefer though so many choices.

ReplyQuote
(@aquaticslive)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I haven't paid more than $100 for a cellphone

Same here man my personal one is the Moto, I got that on Amazon for less than $100.  The Pixel is from work, so they fit the bill for that, I don't like it but its that or an Iphone.  I have other test phones as well so if you need anything tested let me know.  I am in Canada for the week though some testing may need to wait.  For buying options just check the Android version 12+ make sure that you don't go too old, the support window is getting tighter and security updates that they provide may break some apps and since they don't allow publishing of the older apps for fixes really puts developers in a bind.

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @aquaticslive

Same here man my personal one is the Moto, I got that on Amazon for less than $100.

I've gone through the Moto lineup multiple times and only got more and more confused with the huge extent of options and limitations of each one.  Ended up with an LG G8 Thinq...6GB RAM, 128GB FLASH, with a rear-mounted fingerprint reader, OLED screen (with always-on clock), global LTE band support, etc., etc.  And yes, I know that LG has exited the smartphone market--so any further updates are extremely unlikely.

When I was looking, most of the Motos (and Pixels!) under $100 had less than 4GB RAM, and 32GB FLASH or less--with no fingerprint reader, and/or extremely limited LTE band support.  (I could care less about 5G.)

ReplyQuote
(@aquaticslive)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

When I was looking, most of the Motos (and Pixels!) under $100 had less than 4GB RAM, and 32GB FLASH or less--with no fingerprint reader, and/or extremely limited LTE band support.  (I could care less about 5G.)

Yeah takes a bit of shopping to get what you want for cheap I always watch for the refurbished or warehouse deals since they are usually new phones that are returned and they sell then for very cheap.  Also can watch ebay.  I will keep an eye out for awhile and pick one up when see a deal.  Nice I just set watches and saved searches something always pops up cheap eventually. 

I have the 6GB RAM 128GB flash version with fingerprint not that I ever use it but its there. LINK  There is a newer better one than what I have now, but it works will hold up for few years.  I was not a fan of 5G either, but it has proven to be super handy when in a congested area you don't have to worry, just this week for me traveling it has really been nice not having to deal with bad internet at hotels and airports.  Watching others struggle with wifi I was really thankful I had it. 

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

I have the 6GB RAM 128GB flash version with fingerprint not that I ever use it but its there. LINK 

And it runs Android 10?

I mean, if you load your own ROM onto it you can probably get >Android 10, but losing functionality like VoLTE, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@aquaticslive)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

And it runs Android 10?

Currently on 12, but yeah I same as others can just load up a custom ROM it so easy now days.  I am sure you know about the XDA site.  I prefer to keep my daily driver on stock.  My older test phones I have custom ROMS.  I still have an OG Moto Mod phone that I use for testing things well and the mods are so useful especially with custom ROM.  Wish they made a new one. 

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

And it runs Android 10?

Currently on 12, but yeah I same as others can just load up a custom ROM it so easy now days.  I am sure you know about the XDA site.  I prefer to keep my daily driver on stock.  My older test phones I have custom ROMS.  I still have an OG Moto Mod phone that I use for testing things well and the mods are so useful especially with custom ROM.  Wish they made a new one. 

The link you provided was to a 2020 model (XT2063) that has Android 10 as the latest "official"; the 2021 model (XT2141) runs up to Android 12, with Android 13 planned.  Wasn't sure which specific model you have.

Yes, I'm quite aware of XDA Developers 😀 .  Toyed around with custom ROMs on a Samsung Epic 4G (yes, that one's a dinosaur!) a few years back, but didn't really gain anything valuable from CyanogenMod on it.  Since then I haven't bothered with custom ROMs.

ReplyQuote
(@aquaticslive)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

XT2141

Yep had to check its XT2141-1 I didn't really pay attention to that part just bought because I found it cheap one day lol and had been watching for moto phones.

IMG 20230825 172419461

Since then I haven't bothered with custom ROMs.

Yeah not much use the only reason I use the custom ROM for my old moto mod phone is it let me use the IO of the mod pins I had a battery mod that went bad and I pulled the board out of the mod and use it for projects.  Not very often though to be honest more of a toy than anything better tools for that. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2