PLEASE NOTE: If you had an account with the previous forum, it has been ported to the new Genetry website!
You will need to reset the password to access the new forum. Click Log In → Forgot Password → enter your username or forum email address → click Email Reset Link.

Notifications
Clear all

"Generator Assist" Functionality

6 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
(@notmario)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, playing with a new toy today. A consumer returned little inverter generator. Maxes out at 2000W ... 120V only.

So i put my Rev.C auto-volt input to the test. Works great. Takes the 120v, and gives me split-phase 240.

Obviously, the little generator can't output 6000W. But i had noticed the Input Amp Limit for 120v input is modifiable. What happens when it is exceeded? It just cuts back to inverter mode?
Would be great if we could have the inverter "assist" with those loads.

This would also be useful for any 120v input system. Since you can only push 25A into the input, the inverter would be limited to 3000W.

(@cali-carlos)
Trusted Member

I asked sid the same question a while back and this was his response.

Posted by: @sid-genetry-solar

However, I think I know what you're really asking about, and I do have plans for a "hybrid sharing" function.  In this case, you can set the AC Input limit to, say, 10A (or whatever the max of your genny is).  And then half an hour later you turn on the 15A microwave.  The inverter would quickly throttle from AC charging (if enabled) negative into "power boost", and pull the extra 5A of power from the batteries...regulate the input at 10A...and then when the microwave turns off, quickly throttle back into charge again.

I'm not sure if it's working yet but seems to be possible and on his agenda if not.

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Yes, it is in the plans.  As of right now, the only function tied to the "MaxAmp" is the AC-input charging, where the inverter will auto-throttle the battery charging to stay below the MaxAmp threshold.  It doesn't as of yet do anything about output loads exceeding the MaxAmp setting--but yes, in the plans is where the inverter would seamlessly dip into the batteries to make up the difference.  And then seamlessly go right back to charge when/if the load drops below the MaxAmp setting.

Should be completely possible, and yes, it is on the agenda.

Cali Carlos reacted
ReplyQuote
(@notmario)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @sid-genetry-solar

Yes, it is in the plans.  As of right now, the only function tied to the "MaxAmp" is the AC-input charging, where the inverter will auto-throttle the battery charging to stay below the MaxAmp threshold.  It doesn't as of yet do anything about output loads exceeding the MaxAmp setting--but yes, in the plans is where the inverter would seamlessly dip into the batteries to make up the difference.  And then seamlessly go right back to charge when/if the load drops below the MaxAmp setting.

Should be completely possible, and yes, it is on the agenda.

Gotcha. My GS was switching to battery after ~ reaching the maxamps - but that was probably because of AC-in voltage drop from overloading the Genny.

When you got a chance to mess with this, i'm at your disposal for testing it. It might be kind of tricky to make it play well with most Gennys, and i got a bunch of different ones.

ReplyQuote
(@sid-genetry-solar)
Member Admin

Posted by: @notmario

It might be kind of tricky to make it play well with most Gennys

I'd only suspect potential issues with square-wave output generators--which I don't suspect there'd be too many.

The inverter would not be completely "offloading" the loads from the genny--it'll just be offsetting part of the load.  So I don't think there'll be much of any compatibility issues--though I could be mistaken.  That's what testing is for.

Posted by: @notmario

Gotcha. My GS was switching to battery after ~ reaching the maxamps - but that was probably because of AC-in voltage drop from overloading the Genny.

That sounds like a highly probable scenario 😀 .

ReplyQuote
(@the-blind-wolf)
Prominent Member

Well, I got two gen, one is a champion RV 30a model, which I know is pure wave inverter output, then I got a construction honda 8500w big bow gen, not sure what its sign wave is, but heck I know it would run a AC on a box truck with no issue for hours on end.  I just need to rebuild the control panel outlets as they are worn slap out from being used so much in the rain, snow high winds, and sun and well all the vibration it got from being in a craddel under the side of the box truck while going down the road lol.  had to replace the cap in it as it took 20 mins before it would kick on the power. lol.  I was planning on useing it to help charge the battery bank with the GS and then also add some chargers on top of that to boost the charging speed.  might as well push it hard to make it worth the cost of gas lol.

ReplyQuote